• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dual oil pressure and temperature gauges

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a question for those SS members who are wiser than me. I plan to add electrical oil pressure and temperature gauges in my cab, driven by OEM sending units on the engine, however I also want to add another second set of gauges in the engine compartment for monitoring temperature and pressure while the hood is up.

Can 1 temperature sending unit drive 2 temperature gauges, or will 2 sending units be required, 1 for each gauge?

Can 1 oil pressure sendng unit drive 2 oil pressure gauges, or will 2 sending units be required also?

Thanks in advance for information.

dmetalmiki

oil pressure is straight forward, just T the pipe to each gauge. As analogue gauges are the best and true to use.
There is usually more than one take out point for Analogue (reliable) gauges for temperature on most engines,So again straight forward.
My 1/2 penne'th. (As all my gauges are converted to analogue gauges.).

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
oil pressure is straight forward, just T the pipe to each gauge. As analogue gauges are the best and true to use.
There is usually more than one take out point for Analogue (reliable) gauges for temperature on most engines,So again straight forward.
My 1/2 penne'th. (As all my gauges are converted to analogue gauges.).
Yes I plan to use high quality analog gauges. Just wasn't sure if the wire feed from a sending unit could be be split into 2 feeds to drive 2 separate gauges, of if separate sending units are required for each gauge.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Electrical gauges read restance or OHM's from the sending unit. If you install two on one sender I would think the restance would be off. The gauges would most likely work, just not read accurate. You could install a water crossover from a Humvee. It has two ports. You could also then be able to tell if one side was running hotter than the other.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's what I plan to do - I want to retain the original CUCV idiot light system, as well as add electrical gauges inside the cab. I will use the original CUCV sending units to power the idiot lights, and will add additional sending units to power the gauges inside the cab. I will photo-document all this in my rebuild thread (link below).

Thanks for the responses.

richingalveston

if you are using stock cucv cross over I believe you can use the port in the water pump and the original idiot light location on drivers side for water temp.
For the oil sending units you can use the stock cucv location (rear drivers), you do need the fittings from the 6.2. There is a second port in the valley under the intake manifold for the gauge on the 6.5 that I don't believe exist on the 6.2.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks