• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

whistler turbo sound

Michael

Now to try to add the videos. Getting an error that SS doesn't support mp4s.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

rustystud

I've seen some brand new turbos that had quite a bit of shaft side play. I don't know what the measurement is, but it's quite a bit just going by feel. My rule of thumb is look all the way around and see if you see any scrape marks on the housing, or if you can force the fan to rub the housing by hand. Also, I've seen some that were making pretty good contact with the housing, and still not leaking a drop of oil.
Your correct about the play. Since Turbo's spin so fast they need to actually be riding on oil. That is the main reason we need to let the engine idle after running hard to allow the turbo time to spin down. Most people who have never rebuilt or even been into a turbo will think the bearings are shot when they are actually in excellent shape. The true measure is if you actually see oil leaking past the seals. Or in extreme cases, bits of impeller vane or housing broken or scraped off :shock: .

rustystud

This is not what you want to see when you check your turbo.

009.jpg 006.jpg

This impeller (or what's left of one) was from a "Cummins" ISL engine that I was troubleshooting for "low power" .

Michael

I would like to thank Menaces Nemesis again for his suggestion. It was surprisingly easy to do and only took a couple of minutes. Unless someone can come up with another source of the sound I plan to take his advise and just drive it and see if it gets worse. I would like to reiterate that I can only hear this sound coming out of the exhaust pipe. I do not hear it in the video that has gotten the most views ie the one showing the intake side of the turbo. This one is probably the loudest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdNtiIcYuhc

Michael

I would like to thank Menaces Nemesis again for his suggestion. It was surprisingly easy to do and only took a couple of minutes. Unless someone can come up with another source of the sound I plan to take his advise and just drive it and see if it gets worse. I would like to reiterate that I can only hear this sound coming out of the exhaust pipe. I do not hear it in the video that has gotten the most views ie the one showing the intake side of the turbo. This one is probably the loudest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdNtiIcYuhc

russojap

You guys are making me a little nervous with all this talk about turbo shrapnel destroying the engine, so let me ask a dumb question. Can some kind of screen be installed to catch any flying debris?

Also please tell me if there is anything noticeably wrong with my turbo. Is the turbo leaking oil or is this normal exhaust blow-by or is it supposed to be there whatever the reason? Thanks.

IMG_20180825_190555.jpg
IMG_20180825_190717.jpg

One more thing please, that short hose connected to the front of the turbo from the air cleaner looks like it is crumbling. Could pieces of that get sucked in to the turbo and engine? It seems like it could.

Last edited:

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys are making me a little nervous with all this talk about turbo shrapnel destroying the engine, so let me ask a dumb question. Can some kind of screen be installed to catch any flying debris?

Also please tell me if there is anything noticeably wrong with my turbo. Is the turbo leaking oil or is this normal exhaust blow-by or is it supposed to be there whatever the reason? Thanks.

View attachment 744235
View attachment 744236
From what I've gathered, oil on the exhaust side is often "Slobber" due to the engine not being put under load often enough to force the rings to seal the cylinders well. It's oil on the compressor/intake side that tends to be more indicitive of bad turbo seals, and is also much more worrisome, not only due to the possibility of turbo shrapnel hitting the cylinders, but also if the seals leak badly enough, the oil can become an additional/alternative fuel source, allowing the engine to "run away" on us.

Yes, the turbo has some very tight tolerences, and therefore the prospect of tearing into one can be intimidating. But you'd be amazed how dirt-simple they really are to take down and rebuild. Check out wsucougarx's great thread here; https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?75970-Turbo-Rebuild-3LJ-319-(Whistler)

Do the stuff back in post #10. Tell us what you find, and post up the pics of what you see in the compressor housing.

Last edited:

rustystud

View attachment 744235
View attachment 744236

One more thing please, that short hose connected to the front of the turbo from the air cleaner looks like it is crumbling. Could pieces of that get sucked in to the turbo and engine? It seems like it could.
At one time there was an attempt by manufactures to prevent debris from entering through the turbo. It didn't work. So the only thing you can do is be vigilante and check your engine whenever you drive it. Hear a funny sound that doesn't go away ? Check it out.
As for that hose. Yes, replace it with a good Silicone Turbo hose.

rustystud

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks