• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Intake covered with frost under the carb

pegasus55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My '63 M37 starts and runs fine but once on the road it starts chugging and bucking and runs as if it's fuel starved. Fuel flow appears fine to the carb but I noticed that when it does this the area under the carb is covered in frost. ??

CMPPhil

Hi

Been through this but not with M37. Couple questions what is the air temp when this problem happens? Is it cool and damp? Is the manifold heat riser stuck?

Quick check to see if this is the problem cover the radiator bring the truck up to temp with the grill covered then take it for a short ride. Does the problem occure?

OK what was the problem when this was happening to me, fall cool damp, vehicle would stumble like no fuel stop open the hood check carb, clear fuel filter and look down the carb could not find the problem. Yes there was frost around the outside of throttle. Went through this several times until I had the problem, stopped removed the aircleaner look down the throttle throat with the throttle held open (engine off) could see ice in the throat.

Figured the ice was forming because of the ventury effect cooling the flow below 32 even thought the outside temp was well above freezing. Once I saw the ice started checking the manifold heat riser and repositioned the air intake tube to take warmer air. Problem went away.

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers Phil

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks