• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me A3

shannondeese

Well after owning 6 different A2s and settling in keeping one of them. I took the plunge and bought an A3. According to the paperwork it came with it was decommissioned in 2011. I bought it from Florida Department of Forestry with 13,146 miles on the clock. At some point it was picked up with a massive forklift which bent the driveshaft, battery box, tool box and fuel tank mount. Today I straightened out both the battery box and the tool box. And I’m working on getting the tires to hold air. I fired her up today for the first time. She runs pretty good. She needs a generator, the one she had was frozen up. It’ll be a few months and I’ll have her out and back on the road.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PICS!!
Also, after being experienced with the A2s, what made you decide you want an A3?
As for the original tires, please be careful; there are several posts here of blowouts of re-inflated tires that had sat collapsed for a while. Internal damage/broken cords.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
While ive never been a fan of the front end, you cant argue with the power of the cat and the easy steering. Got any plans for it or is it staying stock? With the non overdrive trans, 395s make the truck run like it should.

shannondeese

I keep trying to post pictures. I plan on 395s. Other than that I haven’t decided what I want to do with it. I went with an A3 this time because it was cheap. I mean real cheap. And it came with three new in the box hard tops.

tobyS

Have fun with it. Have you considered going 4x4 yet? I'm on that journey with one, doing 395 XZL too.

What is your serial number and do you have much rust in the frame?

Could I buy one of the tops? PM me.

shannondeese

IMG_0938.jpgIMG_0937.jpgIMG_0936.jpgIMG_0989.jpgRound 4 for pictures. I am keeping the tops. I need one for the Deuce I just bought. My Nephew needs one for his deuce, and the last one is for the next Deuce I buy. The frame is solid with no rust. The back of the passenger side cab has rust. The drivers door is pretty rusty. I'll have it all fixed up in a few weeks. The new windshields will be here on Tuesday and the new drivers door.

Last edited:

shannondeese

Ready For Paint

All the rust repair is done and the cab has new floors. The trans is in and ready to go. The doors are rebuilt and operating correctly. The new top is on. The new windshield frame is in. Its time for paint. Ill be sanding it for a few days then applying the paint. Im hoping to have it down at the show in Mount Dora Fl in February.

Attachments

shannondeese

This past weekend a little bit got done. I removed all the cracked air lines for the CTIS on the wheels and put on new airline. Checked all the connections and applied power. After a minute the system read emergency flat tire. I turned it off and back on. IT WORKS. The CTIS actually works. It’ll air up, down, and if I disconnect a wheel it’ll immediately flash flat tire. Way cool that it works.

shannondeese

Late Friday evening I got to drive my A3 around the property while sitting on a bucket. It's a massive step forward. Today I hope to install the temporary seats and get it out on the road for a test drive. On Sunday I'm going to pick up another A3. That'll put me at 4 deuces. Two A2s and two A3s.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
There may be a standing buy order for any good M35A3 from Minkus as they can't get drivers that can handle a stick and do the job. It is a very good truck that will not be allowed to die due to constant necessary use.
Look up Onion Minkus, they put dump beds on them and use the heck out of them. Anyhow I like the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMZnn-i9DHw

They farm the "black dirt" New York State, rich farmlands of southeastern New York State’s Orange County
https://freshonions.com/wholesale-onion-farm/our-companies/

more about M35A3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=23&v=py3dSjMYXxo

This not a hijack of the thread but a bit about black dirt
http://ediblehudsonvalley.ediblecommunities.com/food-thought/black-magic-hudson-valleys-special-soil

Last edited:

tobyS

I sold an A3 to Minkus and the driver brought me a 50# bag of some great, sweet onions. I should have dried most, one can only eat soo much onion. Notice the duals in the back and the singles up front. I like that on the 6x6. I hope the one I sold him was a good one. We had in depth discussion of going to the non locking torque converter 545 tranny when some key parts fail in the 1545....as they do in his work.

Ajax MD

Wow, that video was amazing. Talk about beating swords into plowshares. That farm really illustrates the scope of what it takes to feed 300 million people in this country. It's a little scary.

Hoefler

I have a M36A3-its long wheelbase model. Put 395s on it, front lock outs and automatic air drains on tanks. Have had it for about 7 years.
They run great and are dependable.
Enjoy your truck.
Pete

shannondeese

Unfortunately the title to the A3 I was supposed to get today hasn't cleared yet. So I'll have to wait until next weekend to get the truck. AceHigh anytime you want to stop by drop me a line.

shannondeese

A3 daily ready

I am now able to Drive the A3 reliably. It took 5 months and a lot of work but I have driven it to work and back a couple times. It'll be ready for paint as soon as it gets warm enough to do it. The brakes are way touchy compared to the A2. The trans downshifting will take some getting used to. I love the CTIS.

Attachments

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am now able to Drive the A3 reliably. It took 5 months and a lot of work but I have driven it to work and back a couple times. It'll be ready for paint as soon as it gets warm enough to do it. The brakes are way touchy compared to the A2. The trans downshifting will take some getting used to. I love the CTIS.
Congrats on your A3, I love mine. Mind the transmission, what fluid is in it; 10W40 or ATF? Mine came from the Air Force with ATF. After servicing it I lost the 4 gear/rev circuit. The dreaded internal seal failure. It's coming out for overhaul. Keep her exercised.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks