• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me A3

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My trans is brand new. I just installed it. I’m runnning Allison spec trans fluid.
What do you mean "brand new"....as in freshly rebuilt?

I put a PTO (less pump) for the AT 1545 tranny in the classifieds if anyone wants more hydraulics than pulling off the back of the air compressor.

Attachments

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The clutch material can absorb water when using oil, the mechanic that rebuilt mine said, although he didn't say how the water could find the oil to begin with. Apparently it does when vehicles set a lot. I think the bigger problem is old seals on the clutch pistons, especially that 4th and reverse clutch pack. They say the new seals don't have the same problem, which makes a fresh rebuild more desirable that a canned NOS tranny that has the older seals. Have fun!

rustystud

The clutch material can absorb water when using oil, the mechanic that rebuilt mine said, although he didn't say how the water could find the oil to begin with. Apparently it does when vehicles set a lot. I think the bigger problem is old seals on the clutch pistons, especially that 4th and reverse clutch pack. They say the new seals don't have the same problem, which makes a fresh rebuild more desirable that a canned NOS tranny that has the older seals. Have fun!
It has more to do with the "age" of the seals. They where using "Viton" seals in Allison's back in 1978. I know as I rebuilt them then. Though "Nitrile" is the most common material. Any oil seal will age, especially in such a harsh environment as a automatic transmission . They become hard and then when you go back to using them on a regular basis they break. It is funny thing. If you keep using a transmission it seems to keep the seals living longer. Then when they sit for long stretches, the seals seem to harden. I'm sure a seal engineer could explain this phenomenon. Could just be since the oil drains back over time they dry out. I do know that oil seals actually absorb oil over time. You can completely clean a oil seal and then put it in a baggie. After a few days you can see oil residue on the seal again.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd be interested in what you think about the A3 with a sizeable load! On that note, the empty A2 Deuce is about 12,000 lbs (wo/w, tires missing) and the trailer...another 2800? Just bringing it up because the data plate on mine says "10,000 lbs" for highway towing. Probably stops fine with 15-18k with good air brakes on the trailer. I have never towed heavy with mine but would imagine it would be sssssllllllooooooooowwwwwwww at that weight!

Last edited:

shannondeese

My trailer is actually 7200 lbs. The A3 did fine towing 19,200 lbs. Round trip of 166 miles. The top speed is 49 MPH. Although that’s the top speed unloaded too. Up hill is ok. It’ll downshift and just keep chugging along. Stopping is easy, I designed the brake system on the trailer. It’ll pull the deuce down to a stop with weight on the trailer a lot faster than the deuce can stop on its own. So I’ll call it a success.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks