• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"lincoln" locker

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure there is plenty of opinion on the interweb about welding the rear diff closed. Do any of you have personal or anecdotal experience actually doing it? Consequences? I understand the tires will chirp, my Detroit locked Blazer does that and I kinda like it :)

coachgeo

there is so freaking much torque in this application..... that amount of torque traveling thru chain of everything connected down and up stream of a lincoln locker in this application.... does not sound wise to me.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Especially on a tight turning LMTV/FMTV. Compared to a m35,809,939 that needs an acre to turn a corner their binding is less severe

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess he could try it as there are members that make a good living selling parts and tow trucks drivers that have kids.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, there is more than one way: Ask someone who has done it.
But what if you get a answer from somebody who is poor at welding ?

I've welded a few 9 inch ford for dirt track cars , but can't say I would do it to a deuce. And it seems like there is way more crap to break in LMTV axles.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would look for at least a BROKEN AXLE, the tighter the turn, the more speed, the higher the load WILL help in the BROKEN thing, the military puts MILLIONS of $ of R&D into these trucks and the closest they can get to what you want to do is DETROIT LOCKERS.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I think it’s a bad idea in the lmtv for normal operation. The dt locker works very well in the rear though. More traction and you really don’t feel it on the road. I think the truck being awd helps. I know that the lmtv axles are popular with mud truck guys and some of them run solid axles. They do modify the lmtv axles significantly before using them though.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, it got right past me that a Detroit is available. That will be my first mod: before seat upgrade, paint, solar panels, radios.
KG6QNS

scottmandu

These trucks tend to eat up tires with an open diff, with a defeated diff you will wear them out quickly. It's been my experience that welded diffs always break sooner or later. The spider gears are generally a very hard and brittle steel, and the housing is either ductile iron or soft steel. One has to take much more care in their welding process than simply stick welding them together.

tobyS

Two spots of weld on one of the gears will stop them, they don't have to be welded together and you would never get a weld to hold. I put 2 spots on, one on each side of the other gear meshing so the gear doesn't turn a full turn (and get momentum going) before it hits the weld. If you only put one spot on, the momentum will cause a problem.

I'm NOT saying to do it on an MV or an FMTV...but have done it before for other non road purpose.

coachgeo

please refer me, I want to remove the reduction hubs!!
PM steve6x6x6. He is in florida so you might have to take long slow trip in the truck and swap it all out there in So. Fl. buttt.... 5th gear will probably all you want to cruise in on the way back....... yet...... each time you have to stop it may take 15 miles to get up to traffic speed cause 2cnd gear will be too high to move away from a stop beyond any speed above a turtle crawl.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks