• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

F-111 Aardvark - Brenham, Texas

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just HAVE to ask what type of obstacles had to be overcome to tow that rascal with the wings on?? I've done LOTS of oversize/overweight towing.....but....gosh!!!:papabear:[/QUOTE

i didn’t do the towing, I only helped with wheel bearings and locating tires/wheel o-rings. Joe did the towing with the help of lots of other folks, it took most of the day to go the few miles. Joe also built the tow bar, display stands to hold the aircrafts weight once in place, and the painting. There were 4 narrow bridges to cross, 2 decent hills, and lots of trees and fence posts that had to be cut, a fence had to be taken down and a ditch filled in just to get it out of the airport. At one point they had to soap the road and slide it over with a big rotator truck bc they were going to clip a hillside with a wing.
papa-bear-in-the-back-of-a-pick-up-truck_u-l-p8i1180.jpg PB getting ready to do some oversize/overweight towing!:papabear:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I just HAVE to ask what type of obstacles had to be overcome to tow that rascal with the wings on?? I've done LOTS of oversize/overweight towing.....but....gosh!!!:papabear:[/QUOTE

i didn’t do the towing, I only helped with wheel bearings and locating tires/wheel o-rings. Joe did the towing with the help of lots of other folks, it took most of the day to go the few miles. Joe also built the tow bar, display stands to hold the aircrafts weight once in place, and the painting. There were 4 narrow bridges to cross, 2 decent hills, and lots of trees and fence posts that had to be cut, a fence had to be taken down and a ditch filled in just to get it out of the airport. At one point they had to soap the road and slide it over with a big rotator truck bc they were going to clip a hillside with a wing.
Thank you Sir....I just KNEW it had to be a well coordinated super human effort with lots of eyes and support.:papabear:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks