• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiper motor problems

Sgt C

So I finally had a. Chance to put both wiper motors back in. BTW, I di rebuild the drivers side as well. Yes, as expected it was full of wheels bearing grease like the passenger side. Both work. Ow but the passenger side has a very short stroke in both directions. Drivers side spans the windshield. Anyone have any advice besides buy the metal ones or convert to electric? My first inclination is to reverse the piston. Is there a "this end first" when reassembling?

rustystud

So I finally had a. Chance to put both wiper motors back in. BTW, I di rebuild the drivers side as well. Yes, as expected it was full of wheels bearing grease like the passenger side. Both work. Ow but the passenger side has a very short stroke in both directions. Drivers side spans the windshield. Anyone have any advice besides buy the metal ones or convert to electric? My first inclination is to reverse the piston. Is there a "this end first" when reassembling?
There is an adjustment controlling the wiper arm movement. It is that small 1" long piece that mounts to the top of the wiper motor. If you take it off you will see two screws that extend down. They come in contact with the wiper "gear". This controls the total amount of movement.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Oh
and about that "If it aint broke Don't fix it"
I fixed lots of stuff that was broke and some that wasn't
All I meant is like "how the heck good do YOU want it to work"?
After the following photos I decided to do ALL the PM's on the truck, took a year.
wiper air motor 004.jpgwiper air motor 003.jpgwiper air motor 002.jpgwiper air motor 001.jpg

wipe 006.jpgwipe 005.jpg
wipe 004.jpg

wiper air motor 009.jpgwiper air motor 008.jpg

wiper air motor 007.jpgwiper air motor 006.jpg
wiper air motor 005.jpg

wiper air motor 013.jpgwiper air motor 012.jpgwiper air motor 011.jpgwiper air motor 010.jpgwiper air motor 009.jpg

It was educational.

Sgt C

Update: the plastic motors are working but are too finicky. Drivers side gets a full swing but stops once in awhile for no reason. The passenger side has about half the swing, goes faster, but barely clears a spot large enough to see through. I broke down and ordered the metal ones. Yes, I can hear the ghosts of deuce owners past saying, "told ya so".Learning the hard way is so much more entertaining than taking the easy path.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Update: the plastic motors are working but are too finicky. Drivers side gets a full swing but stops once in awhile for no reason. The passenger side has about half the swing, goes faster, but barely clears a spot large enough to see through. I broke down and ordered the metal ones. Yes, I can hear the ghosts of deuce owners past saying, "told ya so".Learning the hard way is so much more entertaining than taking the easy path.
I bought my truck 7 years ago and it already had the metal motors and I've never had to fuss with them. I upgraded the arms and blades and they work all the time.

rustystud

I bought my truck 7 years ago and it already had the metal motors and I've never had to fuss with them. I upgraded the arms and blades and they work all the time.
It seems that there was "three" incarnations of the wiper motors for the deuce. The early ones were the all metal ones, very good design. Though the switching mechanism was overly complicated. Then came the "hybrids" I call them. They had several good parts put some not so good. The "switching mechanism was a pretty slick design, but it had a stacked in gear, no screw holding it. Then came the plastic ones. Really bad design all around.
I have taken the switching mechanism out of some Hybrids I have and put them into some good metal ones I had. They have worked great for several years now.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plastic or metal wiper motor?
They can be opened. Sometimes a swollen O-ring causes them to stick.
You can spray a little silicone lubricant into the air intake port and run the motor and see if that gets it going.

A long time ago I made a writeup when I fixed mine: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?56882-Plastic-air-wiper-motors-repair-how-to
cattlerepairman great post. I was just about to chuck my plastic wiper motors in the trash can. My wipers were a little slow so I lubed them with some light machine oil and now they don't work at all. So, now I know what to do...….thanks again!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks