• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Banks Sidewinder Turbo Exhuast Manifold

Ratkilr

Hello. I'm a new member looking for some advice on a turbo setup for my 86 M1009. I have a 97 6.5 that came out of a totaled truck. I was planning on swapping all the upper heads-intake-exhaust manifolds from the 97 and installing them on the 6.2. I have read that the stock 6.5 manifold and turbo will interfere with the #2 battery on the blazer? I have came across a new 82-91 Banks Turbo Exhaust manifold for my project. I do not know if it will interfere with the #2 alternator because the turbo mounts to the front top of the manifold? has anyone ever used the Banks? And which one would be the best one to use?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to but this together one time and do it right.

richingalveston

The banks system works well for the 6.2 but you need the banks turbo to go with the banks manifold. the gm turbo wont fit. they have different flanges and also the banks is real small and no waste gate.
you can actually get both batteries in one tray, search threads.

you can put a gm 6.5 turbo set up on a 6.2 or a banks set up on a 6.2 both work about the same. you can source the 6.5 stuff cheaper than the banks. The banks will work with keeping both trays.

don't try to mix the parts between the two you will have lots of head aches.

swap the entire 6.5 and put the 6.2 in storage for back up.

Barrman

Rich said it all. Either works and both require some kind of small customization. The Banks set up if you get a complete set up actually is more square body friendly with the cross over pipe in front and not hitting the front drive shaft and the down pipe going inside the frame compared to the GM down pipe having to go outside the frame unless you do a body lift. But, the GM system is sooooo much cheaper.

I have a Banks kit on my 1987 CUCV clone Suburban with a GEP 6500 engine. I love it. I am building another 6500 engine to take a GM turbo set up soon for one of my M1009 trucks. Lots of threads on here about the GM installation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks