• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1953 m35a1?

CHM

I am in the process of looking at an buying a 1953 m35a1 I believe. He has a title and it runs and drives. I was told that there is possibly a way on this forum to run the numbers off of the hood to see what or if it was used for anything specific.
I have the numbers it says across the top US ARMY then right below it has 41210416. (if they are original)
I have not gotten the truck home yet or anything to look into any other numbers that are on it. Is there anything specific also that I need to look for that are a weak point on these to be cautious of?
My Grandfather was B-25 bomber pilot in WWII and my wife is a captain in the airforce so I want to restore it to as original as possible. I have been told to rat rod it out but that is not going to happen to apiece of history. I would like to also try to find or see how to build the canvas cargo top for the bed if there are any suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Welcome to the site.
Does the truck had a gas engine or a multifuel? In 1953 the m35 with the gas engine was still in production, the m35a1 didn’t exist yet. Many of the gas powered trucks were later changed to m35a2 specs with the multifuel engine.
You should be able to find troop seats, bows, and a cover for the bed pretty easily if you search for m35a2 stuff.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SS.
The member that did VIN number trace no longer has access to the system . Best you can do now is try find some bumper numbers and try and figure out what unit had it.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have a few members here that have gasser M35 trucks and are knowledgeable about the OA-331 Gold Comet 331 ci engine and the parts needed to tune it up. There is a conversion to civilian spark plugs and also a list of cross-over part numbers for the ignition components.

Most other stuff is the same as on the M35A2, so you will find tons of info quite easily here.

Barrman

The Gasser engine idles at 450 rpm. It sounds like a well oiled sewing machine at the block and like a monster waiting to be let loose at the exhaust. The sounds are awesome to a gear head.

I have gotten a best of 4.89 mpg driving mine on the highway at 48-52 mph and a worst of 4.2 mpg on the highway flat towing a motor home at 45 mph. Don't expect to get better than 5 mpg ever. Hot starts are an issue. However, since the truck was designed for this engine and not the 1000 pounds heavier multi fuel. It drives better and feels more solid to me than my multifuel. But if I have to go very far. The multi fuel gets the job because it cost almost half as much and can climb hills at a more reasonable pace. If you say the word hill while driving the Gasser, it will slow down 5 mph just on general principles.

CHM

I really appreciate all of the information so far. Could someone lead me in the right direction as to where to look for tune up parts for her? The current owners said that she does need a tune up and I am not 100% certain how to search the forum for the proper people or parts yet.

Barrman

Before you go buying parts. Do you want to keep it military spark plugs and wires or go civilian? Everything is different is why I ask and you can be spending money on parts you don't need.

CHM

I would like to keep it as original as possible and stick with military parts unless there is a specific reason to or not to go a certain way.

rustystud

If you say the word hill while driving the Gasser, it will slow down 5 mph just on general principles.[/QUOTE]

Now that's funny ! Very true, but funny !
I also like driving the gasser deuce. It does feel better for some reason. Maybe it is the lighter front end.

Barrman

Memphis and Antelope Valley are where I found most of my Gasser specific parts. There is also a good bit on Ebay sometimes. Kind of odd, but carb rebuild kits for that massive Holley are listed sometimes.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Antelope Valley is closed. I heard they sold all the gasser stuff to Memphis.

CHM

Thanks
I called Memphis Equipment and they have about everything to convert it back to military equipment and the tune up except for a carb rebuild kit. They have rebuilt carbs for about $500 plus the core of $100 but do not sell the kit. Is there much to these carbs or is there any place else that sells them?

CHM

I got onto their website and I did find a carb rebuild kit for her for about $160 but I did not see specifically what spark plugs she needs. I saw some that are for the dodge m37 and it says m35 but nothing specific.

CMPPhil

These guys have the carb kit you are looking for: https://carbkitsource.com/kits/ck0532.html
Hi

Want to thank you for this link if they actually have the kits they list, it will solve several carb kits needs I have right now.

One of the things I really appreciate is that the kits are rated for ethanol containing gas. Will have to give them a call to see if they have the kit for my M5 generator which runs a little ZXB Hercules engine, can't quite match it with the ones shown.

Cheers Phil

CHM

Again I have not picked up the truck yet and had a chance to go through all of the spare parts he has for her but it missing the snorkel for the air intake. Does anybody make this, have one, or any ideas on how to make one that looks original? I do not plan on using her for diving but in the pictures of her I can see where it is has the hole going out of the side of the hood and where it should go into the canister that has the tube going to the carb. just wanting to get her back to original as possible.

Last edited:

fasttruck

The numbers painted on the hood are the vehicle's registration number or "hood number" The Army did not use the manufacturer's serial number for record keeping purposes. After the change to camouflage paint in 1985 the registration number was displayed inside the doors. If you use the truck in cold weather they are usually easier to start than the diesels.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks