• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1000 Trailer

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the insight of things I’m intrigued with and know nothing about.
I knew about the CG issues but that’s about it.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wireless would be great mainly to get the operator away from the tires. Knew a guy years ago that ran over himself with a steerable dolly hauling a 100+ ton prestressed concrete bridge beam. Ended his life and haunted the truck driver as well, he never was right after that.

Wish I had pictures of the trailers we built, but that was well before the digital age and it seemed we just didn’t think to take many. Need to drive back by the shop one of these days and see what they have sitting out front to get some pics of

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wireless remote is actually not all that costly these days. The problem is how to make it all work. In a ideal world, you'd just swap out the hyd valve stack with solenoid valves, but it's not that easy on the M1000. Everything is hard piped to the valve stack, and it is pretty tight quarters. The people that make the wireless remote setup also offers a linear valve actuator that could be added to the factory valve spools, but it's a proportional actuator, and that makes it expensive. You don't really need proportional control.

My current thinking is have the remote control box operate air solenoid valves, and have air cylinders attached to the original valve levers. It's a work in progress, and I'm just too busy with other projects right now to dive into it too deep.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure if it would have much use on your small trailer, but on the big trailers, where you get a lot of sling shot effect, when the truck and front of the trailer are out of a turn, and the ass end is still in the corner, we started putting trolley valves on the rear steering platforms. That way if the truck driver started grabbing gears, running faster than your hydraulics could steer, you could apply the brakes and wake him up. We learned this the hard way... once you have the back half of a 19 axle stopped at a 90 degree to the rest of the trailer without a pusher, you’ve got problems.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool thread! Whats the Macks specs? Engine/tranny/trannys?
The truck has quite the history, it transported tanks across the desert during Operation Desert Storm. Was in the 471st transportation company , driven by Sgt Robbin Titus. Here is the thread about the truck https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/mack-rd822sx.145915/

It is a 1985 Mack RD822sx. E-9 500hp V8 engine, 12 speed Mack Transmission, 65,000 lbs rears. We have also added a Fuller AT1202 2-speed auxiliary transmission behind the stock 12-speed main transmission.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks