• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any TX class A, B Driver's license test experiences in a 5 ton?

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm considering domiciling in Texas, and using my M934 as an RV.

Being that TX requires a Class B to drive anything over 26k,but not a CDL if it's noncommercial, I'm curious if any of you guys have gotten a class A or B license because you have a 5 ton, or if you've taken your class A or B DL test in a 5 ton.

Thanks!

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hah. Wes, I know an exempt class B is required at minimum. I'm asking about experiences during the testing, ie if they let you use your 5 ton for the driving test (I have conflicting Info), what to look out for, etc.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went through this. Using a tactical vehicle for the test is a recipe for failure. She will need to instruct you, hard to do in a noisy truck. She will be out of her zone, not good. Use the CDL rental trucks, they are cheap.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IF your MV is registered as a TxFMV (Texas Former Military Vehicle) then most probably certain aspects of the OPERATOR'S VEHICLE INSPECTION KNOWLEDGE will be perceived by the Testing Official (may not be a SHE) as NON-COMPLIANT with current production vehicle standard since most MV's pre-date the current design standards.... Even though as a TxFMV your MV would NOT be "required" to comply with those current standards.

IF you choose to register your MV as a TxFMV with the "NO TAG" option, that will be viewed as your FIRST "perceived" violation.

IF you choose to register your MV as a TxFMV you are NOT required to display the annual windshield decal (only carry in in the vehicle to be presented on demand) THAT will most likely be your SECOND "perceived" violation. And your THIRD "perceived" violation would be presumption that with no windshield sticker than you most probably have not had the vehicle inspected either, when completely LEGALLY you would NOT be required to have a TxFMV inspected at all!!! REMEMBER, the Testing Official is more than likely an reasonable "EXPERT" in commercial vehicles.... and NOT so much knowledgeable in the various EXCEPTIONS to an assortment of Texas LAWS that TxFMV's enjoy.

PLEASE refer to the TxFMV LAWS Thread linked in my Signature Block below.

In summary......

It's their game, their rules... whether you're right or they THINK you're wrong.... Is the fight worth it???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN0T5tyJlo8

Carry on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks