• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Skipping deuce

Help. My m35a2 with the Hercules multifuel is skipping badly. I replaced the fuel filters and made sure the electric fuel pump is working and there is plenty of fuel going to the injection pump. I cracked the injector lines and it seamed like number 5 cylinder was dead. So I replaced that injector. It made no difference. I removed valve cover and all seams normal. Springs and valves look good. So I replaced the rotors head of the injection pump and still it seams like number 5 is still a dud. I’m going to do compression test next but would like some help. Thanks.

Jgreg49

Any other symptoms such as heavy blobby? Oil level increasing? Coolant loss? Smoke?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jgreg49

Any other symptoms such as heavy blobby? Oil level increasing? Coolant loss? Smoke?

Dang autocorrect haha I mean blowby

Yes. A good amount of blow by. It does push oil out of the front head gasket under a heavy load. It smokes like **** but it always has. It is worse cause of the skipping. I just made a compression tester out of the old injector so I’ll test it to see if it can’t fire cause it has no compression in that cylinder

Jgreg49

It sounds like you could be looking in the right direction. You could have a broken ring or a worn out cylinder liner. If it has decent compression do a leak down test.

It did seam like there wasn’t as much fuel got g to the number 5 injector. It’s been a year since I worked on it last. But changing the rotors head made no difference. I Took it apart and cleaned it first. I wonder if the head gasket is blown out between two cylinders or an oil galley port and it’s loosing compression. The injector was wet when I removed it. I also replaced #6 injector at the same thing me cause that seamed week when I cracked that line too.

Jgreg49

That's possible also. Especially with the oil seepage. I'm not sure which engine it was but one of the engines they used in the deuces had head gasket issues frequently

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It did seam like there wasn’t as much fuel got g to the number 5 injector. It’s been a year since I worked on it last. But changing the rotors head made no difference. I Took it apart and cleaned it first. I wonder if the head gasket is blown out between two cylinders or an oil galley port and it’s loosing compression. The injector was wet when I removed it. I also replaced #6 injector at the same thing me cause that seamed week when I cracked that line too.
If #5 does not get any/enough fuel or not at the right time, the culprit sits before you even get into the engine. A seeping head gasket or leaky rings are not even on the radar, yet. Could be a clogged injection line also.
I know you changed out the HH and it did not improve the situation.

I would make sure #5 gets fuel as it supposed to before moving into the guts of the engine.

I’ll Play with line more today. It always smoked black. I bypassed the fuel density regulator and it gets good boost. There is fuel there but didn’t seem like it sprays out like the other cylinders

So my compression tester didn’t quite work it leaked past the threads were the injector nozzle would of sealed it. I took the lines of if 5 and 6. Then hooked them up so I could watch the injector lbs spray. They both adomized real nice I swapped them from 5 and 6 and the spray was the same. So I guess the fuel is fine coming out of the pump. I did notice that when you crack the 456 injector s ithey don’t bog as much as 123. I replaced 456 and watched them spray good. When truck runs you can feel are pulsing out of the intake. I think this is compression being pushed back through. I ordered a head set. So I’ll see what it looks like when I pull the heads.

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my hydraulic head the bow tie shaped washer was wallowed out causing the quill not to turn correctly and making the timing all wrong.

m715

Did you check the valve lash? Make sure the push rods aren't bent, and the rocker arm is not worn. The intake valve may not be seating. Some causes may be week or broken valve springs, bent push rods or carbon build up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks