• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I need to disable my LMTV from starting... easiest way to do this?

graniteclimber

1998 Stewart & Stevenson LMTV. I have to park it in a pretty sketchy area for a couple of weeks. What is the easiest way I can disable it from starting, short of removing the batteries? Are there any relays I can pull?

Ronmar

K1 or K2(starter and control relays respectively) you could also disconnect the solenoid on the back of the governor...

along the lines of disconnecting the VIM, you can pull the WTEC Circuit breaker which interrupts the start enable signal from the transmission...

Is your battery box locked, stealing batts is a popular pasttime I am told...

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

I would have suggested relays they tend to be pretty obvious. the vim box is more of a secret for us fmtv enthusiast. As superman stated the best way would be a hidden interrupter switch.

coachgeo

you may not want to as you mentioned "short of removing the batteries...... but that is really best if it is a sketchy area. Take them home some place you can lock them up after parking the truck. Solves the battery theft issues* of late AND the joy ride or worse of the truck.

*two trucks in last month on this fmtv forum have had batteries stolen.... even cheap battery replacements adds up to bit of $$$ when you need 4 and you don't have cores to turn in ta boot.

Last edited:

sandcobra164

There are 3 switches on the passenger side frame rail just behind the front tire. One is a Battery Disconnect. Flip that up when you walk away and you should be fine. No one really uses those switches unless the cab is up and you're performing maintenance. Most people don't even know they are there.

coachgeo

There are 3 switches on the passenger side frame rail just behind the front tire. One is a Battery Disconnect. Flip that up when you walk away and you should be fine. No one really uses those switches unless the cab is up and you're performing maintenance. Most people don't even know they are there.
hmmm.... I don't think so....not on the FMTV's..... never heard of that in here. Maybe the A1's??? but pretty sure not the A0's..... but hey .... Ive been way wrong a million times. might be this is million and one.

sandcobra164

hmmm.... I don't think so....not on the FMTV's..... never heard of that in here. Maybe the A1's??? but pretty sure not the A0's..... but hey .... Ive been way wrong a million times. might be this is million and one.
You're probably correct, maybe it's just an A1 feature. All I've messed with is the ones in my National Guard unit have them. I get operators with that switch all the time. Sadly, my mechanics often overlook them as well when troubleshooting. Nothing funnier than seeing them hook a set of slave cables up (first remedy), then take the passenger side dash apart and start checking stuff with a voltmeter (2nd remedy) then finally come to me and say the battery disconnect must be bad. Flip one switch and the truck is magically "fixed".

BuiltMFG

I saw those recently and can't find them in the TM's (I'm guessing it might only be on the A1). What are the other two for? I thought it was a way the engine off and on while the cab was flipped but I didn't have any luck.

Ha, just saw the post above this one, ignore the first note.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks