• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU 419 low power

joeblack5

The times I took Mogli out on the road it felt that it was kind of low on power going uphill.
While i took the diagnostic harness out I noticed this...... The exhaust is pretty flat. Looks like a couple of forklift forks were in the wrong place. Not sure why there is no flex pipe somewhere in the exhaust line. Looks like it is normal 2-1/2" ID exhaust pipe so i guess i have some cutting to do. The exhaust damper seems to be pushed up a little and one mount is bend over. The other image is of the diagnostic harness that i removed. It makes getting around easier.

later J

Attachments

peakbagger

Thanks for the photo of the ICE harness. It was on list to do to mess with at some point.

Yup the exhausts do seem to get abused at the auctions. Mine in an good shape but at some point I picked up a NOS spare and a muffler for when they go. One thing I am not impressed with is there is factory crimp in the pipe where it exits the engine that probably causes a lot of backpressure. I have not spent the time to figure out why the crimp is there.

By the way, the other down on power issue is the throttle linkage. The bellcrank that connects the pedal through the transmission tunnel can bend which eventually causes the linkage to have less travel. Lots of springs and pivots inside the transmission tunnel that all can cause issues.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The times I took Mogli out on the road it felt that it was kind of low on power going uphill.
I think they'd be low on power with a good header on the engine, but be that as it may; while you've been underneath servicing things, did you happen to notice if the rear track bars have forklift damage, too?
Those are far more important than the exhaust, I think.

Pinsandpitons

As a side note; I recently tuned the throttle linkage in mine. The pedal was bottoming out on the floor before the injection pump was to the full throttle position. While it didn’t double the power or anything, I no longer need to downshift on a hill that used to require it. It’s worth a look. I had to move the pedal a spline or two on its shaft.

joeblack5

Thank you all for the reply. The track bars are straight, not even touched it seems. Did not check the throttle linkage but will do. Interesting about that crimp. have not noticed but did not know about it either. Was thinking about modifying the 4x4 from air actuated into mechanical but now that i have easy access to the top of the transmission it has lost its urge. I will modify the original air rotary switch, may be an electric switch with solenoid valves?

Later J

joeblack5

That is true but it is also nice to have an electrical switch on your dash. Easy enough to separate the front and rear. The most difficult part was it not being accessible unless you tilted the cab but at least for our flu that is now resolved by taking the cover off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks