• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front axle spring bushings

Matt5

Banned
I have never found anyone who makes a set that fit correctly, they are all too small and only work correctly on 3/4 ton and down trucks. If they tell you the same part number works for a 1/2 ton truck... they are the wrong ones.

cucvrus

I use Energy Suspension bushings. The shackles are the same thing on a K30 as they are on a K5. The front eye bushings on the spring can be a joy to get out. I heat the sleeve and make a big mess but they come out. Lately I have just been replacing all 4 springs. After all they have been sitting on the springs for over 30 years and new ones really give the truck a fresh look and ride. I have been putting new 4 ply springs on the front of trucks and 3 ply on the K5 M1009. It makes the vehicle sit nice and level and ride well. Do as you wish. I would recommend Energy Suspension and have installed many of them on all makes and models of trucks and SUV's. Good Luck. Have a Great Day.

KrispyKris

I use Energy Suspension bushings. The shackles are the same thing on a K30 as they are on a K5. The front eye bushings on the spring can be a joy to get out. I heat the sleeve and make a big mess but they come out. Lately I have just been replacing all 4 springs. After all they have been sitting on the springs for over 30 years and new ones really give the truck a fresh look and ride. I have been putting new 4 ply springs on the front of trucks and 3 ply on the K5 M1009. It makes the vehicle sit nice and level and ride well. Do as you wish. I would recommend Energy Suspension and have installed many of them on all makes and models of trucks and SUV's. Good Luck. Have a Great Day.
Thanks I am in the middle of placing (another:-x) order with Rock Auto. I usually use a hole saw and cut through the rubber, and the use a hack saw/ sawzall to cut through the steel sleeve. I have burned them out in the past...oh oh oh.

nyoffroad

I replaced a few over the years, I've had good luck with NAPA bushings in the rear. Fronts I don't remember where I got them (probably NAPA) and aree a bit more difficult.

What he says!

I replaced bushings (polyurethane and greasable) and shackles (much more stout) with parts from ORD.......everything was correctly sized and functions properly.

But, at the end of the day, should have replaced the springs while I had it all apart.
I used a drill bit to drill out some of the old OEM rubber bushing, and then could use a press to drive out bushing sleeve and rest of bushing.

HillbillyWizard

We use and supply energy suspension bushings. Highly recommend doing this, those front bushings can be the source of deathwobble and poor handling. They are the same as a K30.

Matt5

Banned
I figured at least someone would know that, a k30 has wider springs and that *nothing* is correct if it fits k5-30...

Pictures attached of size difference... while the bushings go in, they are not long enough...

Yes the pictures *suck* if I remember/get time tomorrow I'll grab the micrometer, see if I have any springs that are off, and post the much better results...

IMG_20181024_195740805_HDR.jpgIMG_20181024_195659997.jpg

cucvrus

Never measured springs with a micrometer. They are not a precision piece. The bushings fit the frame mounts and the spring eye hole. After that you tighten them up and done. This is the same suspension they used for over 100 years. Leaf springs with eyes. Just saying. Stanley spring in Harrisburg PA has been in business sine 1921. They sell a kit for the bushings and it fits all the old Chevys some Dodges and Fords with leaf springs. I never knew bushings needed measured with a micrometer. Have a Great Day. Not worth all the debate. They fit. I have installed perhaps 50 sets. And yes the pictures shown a spring that was sheared when built. Not measured with a micrometer. Measure the opening in the frame where the spring mounts. I replaced the mounts on several rusty plow trucks from M109's to M1031. Always use the same mounts from a K10-K30. Military and civilian are the same.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks