• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 5-ton stopped running all the sudden.

retiredtoy

I bought this 1970 5-ton cab and chassis from GovDeals at lebanon, Missouri about 5 years ago. It was turned in by a local fire department. I called them before buying the truck and they said it had a new engine in it. It had all new goodyear 1100R20 tires and no bed. I was in the airforce from 1960 through 1965 and never was around army trucks but always wanted one. So you can tell the I really don't know a lot about them. When I got the truck home and started it up, I thought it sounded like it had a knock. So I shut it off and went and bought another engine. when I finally got it replaced and started the good engine, it sounded just like the one I had removed. The seller advised me that I was just hearing a multifuel engine run and sound like it should. I have used the truck with a water tank while building a lake. It has always ran fine. Now, the other day I went out to start it up. It didn't want to start right up so I used the winter button. That made it start up but it went into full rpm. I pulled the stop lever but it took a couple of seconds for it to shut down. I am thinking that the winter injector system may have stuck on spraying a bunch of fuel into the intake. Like I said, I don't know much about these things. Anyway, after it died, I tried to restart it without using the winter button. No luck. I cracked the fuel line to injector pump and had pressure. No smoke when trying to start. Removed the spark plug from the winter system and sprayed some either. Engine ran for a second on the either. Loosened all the injector lines and pulled the truck for a city block. No fuel ran out of the loose lines. HELP !!! What do you all suggest that I do next? I still have the running engine I thought had a knock with all the extra's still on it. I could replace the injector pump but I first thought it best to ask for help. There could be an overrev button I need to reset. Please lit me know what you think is wrong. If you don't come up with a fix, you will see this in the classifieds section next week.
Thanks in advance.
John

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First look up the Technical Manuals in the TM section of this site.
General workings of fuel system is there.

M800 series = old 5 tons.
M939 = newer 5 tons.
Then there is the FMTVs.

When you flip the battery switch do you hear the fuel pump in the tank turn on?
if no, there might be enough crud in the lines to not allow the Injector pump to suck fuel through that long straw to the fuel tank.

If it does turn on, when you break the fuel line connection going into the pump and turn the battery on do you get fuel at the connector? If not, look at filter.
Make sure the filter is sealed well and the water /fuel drain is closed. Then make sure the filter is clean.

If that works, re-tighten the fitting and crack a line at one of the injectors. turn the truck over. do you get fuel at the injector.

Unless it is really cold the heater system probably won't do much.
The high revs sound like you pulled out the hand throttle. push it back in and only pull it out a click or two before you start your trouble shooting.

Also inspect the fuel shut off solenoid. module sites on top of the IP. Lots of posts on how to inspect/fix that.

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

could be a bad fuel button, the cold starting aid sprays fuel across the igniter plug sounds like you had a rich fuel mixture in the intake and the engine ran away for a minute. if the igniter had worked you should have had a fire in your intake not raw fuel. The governor in the pump only regulates what goes through the injection pump fuel from other sources like the flame heater or either, wont be regulated. make certain the shut down plunger is fully retracted if its stuck out a bit the injection pump wont deliver enough fuel to start.

retiredtoy

Thank U all for replying so soon it is a malt a fool not a Cummings engine and snow track I think you are Close to what happened Quarks mentioned the fuel shut off solenoid I don’t believe this injector pump has a fuel shut off solenoid Correct me if I’m wrong I am 76 years old and I finished my leg and don’t need it anymore so I think I’m just going to give up and put it on classifieds thank you all for your help maybe someone else will come up with that it was an easy fix Now I have to figure out how to put it on Steel Soldiers Classifieds

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two screws on the IP removes the shut down cover. Fuel control must move free and your is just a little sticky. You said it went to wot, yes because the fuel control is stuck in wot and you did not leave the shut down cable pulled out when you left the truck. You said it will not start yes fuel control is stuck in no fuel pisition. You got lucky sometimes the fuel control is so stuck when you pull the shut down cable it will not work because the fuel control is super stuck and cable can not over power it. Do a search in the Deuce forum and there will be pics and cures for sticking fuel control.

retiredtoy

Two screws on the IP removes the shut down cover. Fuel control must move free and your is just a little sticky. You said it went to wot, yes because the fuel control is stuck in wot and you did not leave the shut down cable pulled out when you left the truck. You said it will not start yes fuel control is stuck in no fuel pisition. You got lucky sometimes the fuel control is so stuck when you pull the shut down cable it will not work because the fuel control is super stuck and cable can not over power it. Do a search in the Deuce forum and there will be pics and cures for sticking fuel control.
Thanks for info. I first went to the spare engine and removed the cover. I noticed the way the shut off pulls the fuel control back to kill engine. I also noticed that the little lever was completely free to slide back and forth. I then took the cover off the truck engine. You are right, the little lever that should be free to move back and forth was stuck solid back to the shut off position. Probably because of how hard I pulled on the shut off handle. I tried to move the little swing lever but it is stuck. I will go to the Deuce forum and search for what makes it stuck and what can be done about it. I did hammer it towards the front of the engine but then it was just as hard to get it to move back. Thanks. If nothing is found, I might have to read how to time the pump and do an exchange of injector pumps. Thanks again. John

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No IP removal just to take out the fuel control. Just hope by taking it out you can get it freed up with using solvents. Just be care full and don't do it in the dirt if you can help it. There is the small clip that holds the governor linkage to the fuel control. I use a good pair of needle nose or sometimes I use my medical forceps to lock on the retainer clip so I don't loose it. Then there is a little pin on the end of the fuel control that goes into the control collar when you do remove the fuel control. Don't turn it up side down and as soon as you get the fuel control out of the IP head get hold of that pin and put it some where safe like a plastic bag along with the linkage clip. Also use rags or something to make a catch under the IP so if for some reason you drop the clip or pin the rag will catch it.
Chris has a sticky in the Deuce forum with pics of fuel control removal.https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?143476-How-to-remove-the-Fuel-Shutoff-Rod-on-the-IP

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks