• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rubber conditioner/protectant

rtadams89

I'm looking for something to protect/renew rubber parts (axle boots, weatherstripping, axle bumpers, packard connectors, etc.). Everything I have found so far appears to be designed to make your high-end car tires shiny -- not what I'm looking for. Recently I found Aero Cosmetics "Rubber Care", which isn't sticky, but haven't used it long enough to know how well it works. Any other products you guys have experience with and can recommend?

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Liquid silicone works well, used it to restore rubber/plastic parts on old car restorations. Off the vehicle, let the part soak in a zip lock bag for a couple weeks. Parts come out looking brand new with some flex back it them. For on the vehicle Ive had success with the better tire foam products, Spray the crap out of it and let it sit over night. Dab the residue the next day. Longer you let is sit the better. Ive made the engine compartment of cars/trucks look new again. Soak the whole engine/ engine bay with the foam and close the hood and walk away. Next day it will just need a little wipe down to get the excess up. AZ in not a good enviorment for non-metallic components. Headed to Scottsdale in a couple weeks to give my father a hand, hope it is cooler.
JC

ArmoredCTP

Hey guys! New poster here, but I have been lurking somewhat regularly for a few weeks now. I'm a little late in replying, but better late than never!:naner:

Coming from vintage phone restoration and vehicle detailing, I can't stress enough how damaging silicone-based products are for rubber and plastic long-term. Silicone gels and dressings give rubber an artificial shine, but it really leaches out the preservatives that keep the rubber pliable. I've heard horror stories of people using Armorall-type products on their dashboards and exterior rubber trim, only to have the rubber and plastic begin cracking prematurely a couple years later.

I'd recommend using 303 Aerospace Protectant. It's water-based, and contains UV protectants with an SPF of 40, which is better than most sunscreens. It leaves behind a nice satin factory-like finish, but is completely dry to the touch. Just spray down the part you want treated, let it soak, and buff off the excess after 15-30 minutes with a dry towel. After several rain showers, the finish will appear to wear off, but trust me, it's still there...that's simply excess being washed off. On very non-porous surfaces, expect the treatment to last about a month before a recommended re-application. The more porous the surface, the longer it should last, and it should last indefinitely on objects not directly exposed to rain.

I use it for both of my F150s, plus my Dad's Deuce, so I go through a lot of it in one Summer. People who reapply 303 every month or so (or only once a year in some cases) still have like-new rubber and plastic parts years later.

Oh, and yes, it makes your tires look nicer. You can use it more as a protective measure against sidewall and tread checking from baking in the sun, but the 'new' look it gives the tires over an extremely shiny fake look is a nice side effect. Try it on faded 3-color camo as well.

It's expensive (cheaper per ounce in the gallon jug), but really worth it. Many, many positive reviews on Amazon, so don't just take my word for it.

https://www.amazon.com/303-30313-CS...pID=41PdIKSM9QL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

ArmoredCTP

I'm not trying to advertise...I'm just explaining what has worked for me. The OP asked what product he should use, and I answered with a product I'm not affiliated with at all.

I guess I could say "water based UV protectant" to be general, but this is the best stuff I know of.

TedN

That ban on mentioning vendor names must be pretty new. I just did an archive search and found 1500 other posts that mention Amazon, 2100 posts that include Home Depot, and over 2,500 that mention Tractor Supply.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks