• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which paint?

Tex68w

I recently picked up a clean M1101 for which I plan to use as an adventure trailer to be towed behind my Power Wagon. I have a canopy I intend to mount to it and I'd like to paint it to match the Tan CARC that is already on the trailer. Is the exact/actual Tan CARC paint available to buy on the open market? I've seen some alternatives that claim to be close to exact replicas of CARC that sell for roughly $40/gal, but is it really the same and is the color an exact match? Where should I look to purchase these products and what should I expect to pay?

Thanks in advance for any help, insight, or suggestions.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem with matching the original Tan 686 paint on your 10 year old trailer is that it has faded, and any new paint will not be. So if you want to paint your canopy CARC, you will end up having to paint the trailer as well. An option is to have Sherwin Williams or Home Depot etc color match the faded paint, using one of the new water based exterior paints, which people seem to be happy with. The CARC substitutes available from Rapco etc tend to be way too glossy. Correct CARC can be obtained from Sherwin Williams Chemical Coatings outlets.

Tex68w

So can any Sherwin Williams get the correct CARC and if so what should I expect to pay for a gallon of it?

I fear that if I have color match stuff done it won't be color matched any longer in a few years when the trailer continues to fade and the canopy doesn't.

I considered having the entire thing bed lined with a tan bedliner but I know that will be well north of $1000. I am looking to get a close match for an affordable price as I don't want to have more money in a paint/coating job then I do in the trailer itself haha. Unfortunately the canopy is white so it has to be done. I know most just paint everything black, but I'd like to keep the tan military look.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
So can any Sherwin Williams get the correct CARC and if so what should I expect to pay for a gallon of it?

I fear that if I have color match stuff done it won't be color matched any longer in a few years when the trailer continues to fade and the canopy doesn't.

I considered having the entire thing bed lined with a tan bedliner but I know that will be well north of $1000. I am looking to get a close match for an affordable price as I don't want to have more money in a paint/coating job then I do in the trailer itself haha. Unfortunately the canopy is white so it has to be done. I know most just paint everything black, but I'd like to keep the tan military look.
You can check with simmons industries they do a rubberized coating in any color you want. It is good stuff and doesn't fade. It looks like rhinoliner as well

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, not ANY Sherwin Williams outlet, only Chemical Coatings stores for CARC. It's pricy, over $100/gal. I would paint match your structure using the water based house paint and worry about the unequal fading after X years then.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a thread on using Behr house paint which is latex based, but dries to an acrylic finish. It is about $30 a gallon. Listen carefully to these instructions:1 Go to Home Depot paint department, 2. Ask the clerk to lookup a color in "Competitive Paints", 3. Have them select "FSS" (Federal Supply Service), 4. There should be two blank spaces shown, in the top one have them type "Desert Tan" or just "686 Tan" and press enter. 5. If it shows a tan color patch, tell the clerk how many gallons you want and they will go get the correct base and mix your paint up! The lower box is for the exact FSS color number which can also be entered directly instead of using the top box, if they are doing that have them type "33446" From the stickie:
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?116608-Paint-Information-(Codes-and-Sources)

Tex68w

There is a thread on using Behr house paint which is latex based, but dries to an acrylic finish. It is about $30 a gallon. Listen carefully to these instructions:1 Go to Home Depot paint department, 2. Ask the clerk to lookup a color in "Competitive Paints", 3. Have them select "FSS" (Federal Supply Service), 4. There should be two blank spaces shown, in the top one have them type "Desert Tan" or just "686 Tan" and press enter. 5. If it shows a tan color patch, tell the clerk how many gallons you want and they will go get the correct base and mix your paint up! The lower box is for the exact FSS color number which can also be entered directly instead of using the top box, if they are doing that have them type "33446" From the stickie:
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?116608-Paint-Information-(Codes-and-Sources)
This seems like the best and most affordable option. I just need to find someone that can spray it on for me now. Thanks for the help!

Tex68w

Its well within your capabilities, even if you've never done it before.

Cheap HF paint sprayer, point and shoot....

Yea I guess I could buy/rent one and tape off all of the lights/reflectors and spray the entire thing. Is one gallon enough to get it done, canopy and trailer?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or you can use a brush or roller, as long as the object is not in direct sunlight at temps above 80 F. Otherwise the paint will try to dry too quickly. Early in the morning, if you can keep dew from forming on it overnight, is best allowing the sun to dry the paint. Give it about a week under a shed during wet weather to fully dry and you are golden.

Tex68w

Or you can use a brush or roller, as long as the object is not in direct sunlight at temps above 80 F. Otherwise the paint will try to dry too quickly. Early in the morning, if you can keep dew from forming on it overnight, is best allowing the sun to dry the paint. Give it about a week under a shed during wet weather to fully dry and you are golden.
I'll have it in the garage so if I brush/roll it on I can keep it dry and climate controlled to a degree. I just might have to try this instead of spraying it.

jmb6741

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have painted lots of trucks using Behr paint and we spray with a small Graco airless spray gun. I have found painting the canvas with the latex works good because its flexible and doesn’t crack when the fabric folds and bends. If you have a good quality paint chip they can color match it at Home Depot. If you spray it, two gallons is plenty to do a trailer and we do not cut it, just stick the suction in the can and spray and little bit to test it out and then away you go! Good Luck!

Tex68w

We have painted lots of trucks using Behr paint and we spray with a small Graco airless spray gun. I have found painting the canvas with the latex works good because its flexible and doesn’t crack when the fabric folds and bends. If you have a good quality paint chip they can color match it at Home Depot. If you spray it, two gallons is plenty to do a trailer and we do not cut it, just stick the suction in the can and spray and little bit to test it out and then away you go! Good Luck!
I am using a hard canopy, not the soft canopy. No need to worry about flex.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll have it in the garage so if I brush/roll it on I can keep it dry and climate controlled to a degree. I just might have to try this instead of spraying it.
I've used a brush and roller with good results. Learned the hard way when painting outdoors in the SC summer. Paint looks great when wet, but has a very chalky appearance when dry (I painted with the 383 Green, so chalky shows up much better).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks