• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 torque converter bolts

shannondeese

Ladies and Gentlemen I am in need of assistance. My new to me A3 came with the torque converter not bolted to the flex plate. I have removed the starter and still do not see how to install the bolts. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't quoit me but. 3116 cat has a large square head plug on the passenger side of the bell housing facing the front of the engine bay.

shannondeese

I’m on the right track now. The TQ converter is not bolted to the flex plate. On my truck there is a small 2x3.5” inspection plate under the bell housing. There is no plug to remove on the drivers side. The plug on the passenger side is only large enough to put a #2 pencil in. I removed the starter and there is not enough room to access the TQ converter bolts through there either. Within the bell housing there is the flex plate with a starter ring gear bolted to it using countersunk Allen head bolts. There is a ring that the TQ converter should be bolted to, I can access these bolts with the transmission in place. And the TQ converter itself. So here is hat I think I have to do. Unbolt the ring from the flex plate. Remove the jack shaft. Unbolt and slide the transmission rearward until I can get my hand inside to bolt the ring to the TQ converter. Then push it all back together and bolt the ring with the TQ converter bolted to it to the flex plate. If anyone has a better solution I’d love to hear it.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Just get some long all thread and remove 4 of the bellhousing bolts and screw the all thread in so you can pull it off and it should all stay in line.

you are suppose to use that lower access panel to remove the bolts from the torque converter. That is per the TM and I have done it that way before.

Attachments

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wes is correct, I have recently accomplished this task, trans is coming out. The bolts are removed via the access plate. Tune the engine over manually, I used a pry on the starter ring teeth, a little finesse goes a long way so not to damage anything. Use a 6 point socket.

shannondeese

Today I took advantage of not having to work since a hurricane is coming. I got the seats out, the floor panels removed, the jack shaft removed, and the mount bolts out. The transmission is resting on a transmission jack. Tomorrow I should be able to get it slid back enough to correctly install the bolts and put it back together. Weather permiting.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Today I took advantage of not having to work since a hurricane is coming. I got the seats out, the floor panels removed, the jack shaft removed, and the mount bolts out. The transmission is resting on a transmission jack. Tomorrow I should be able to get it slid back enough to correctly install the bolts and put it back together. Weather permiting.
Spray the bolt holes on the torque converter with red paint and the bolt holes on the flex plate with yellow paint. Makes it alot easier when going back together so.you can see the red paint and yellow paint thru the bottom access cover so you know you are close and not blindly looking for holes

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks