• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My next quest : Air Ride Cab

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Alright folks, well apparently I have entirely too much ADHD medication and lots of crap on my mind. SO we must proceed on the next quest of what to do to my truck cause god forbid i leave it alone for more than 10 minutes. This time my screwing around with it will be an air ride cab. well as about the best I can get close to.

Parts I have decided to use are the rear cab air struts off an International Prostar tractor These are bolted to the frame by their own clamp style mount. Looks pretty simple. I believe I can leave the front mounts alone but just add different bushings for a better ride.

The plan for the rear mounting is pretty simple I believe. I have a pretty basic U mount that I fab'd up when I did the transmission modification. This lets my cab mount thru the same 1/2" cross plate that the transmission bolts to. Well We are going to lower that plate down and use a smaller transmission bushing so that will drop that cross beam in the pictures down about 2 inches or more. I will not bolt the cab back to that plate. I will instead use some 1/2" steel plate and run it across the width of the cab out just beyond the frame rails. I will in turn bolt the frame mounting for the air strut to the vertical 1/2" plate I have on the outside of the frame for the rear cross member. I will then bolt the air strut to the 1/2" plate going across the cab and secure that to the cab using the existing rear cab bolt holes. Basically the air struts will be holding the cab up. I will then add a reinforcement to the back side of the cab and add a shock mounting bracket to the rear of the cab on each side on the inside of the vertical steel plates and add a lower shock mount to it so that the cab shocks will rebound off of that. And of course add some safety straps. I will add a level valve to the rear along the frame some where below the cab.

Seems simple enough. That's the fall project. Will keep you updated.

Attachments

grendel

You won't regret it. I air ride everything I can.

I prefer a front mount with more of a pivot and also prefer to sub frame a cab that was never designed to move.

12063832_10205975064830477_2168565308974476710_n.jpg

wrenchturner6238

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I plan to air-ride the cab on my M931 too. I just want to add a thought into this. A lot of the air-ride cabs have a sleeper mounted to them too and the air suspension is in the back of the sleeper. What i am getting at is the weight of the cab on the certain suspension is not enough on a day cab truck so you get an adverse effect with the cab and your air-ride seat It is like getting out of time with a horse while ridding. My point is if you are going to get parts from something else just see if you can get the old parts off of a day cab. I have been thinking about looking into the weight rating on the seat air bags and use 2 of them; or use a single bag in the center but with that I will have to put a stabilizing rod. just my thoughts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks