• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dewey Battery Charging Aux Power Unit - Generator Head Swap

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Great thread!

Anyone by chance have a parts breakdown for the Yanmar L100V engine? I can only find the L100AE & L100N ones after a few days on the Google.

Ryantee14

I got me a BAPU. I want to be able to have a get away.. red dawn Wolverines.. a great build.. I know ima have questions, anyone in southern California?

RobertoGatos

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like the gen head used in this swap is no longer available. There are a few over seas sellers, but at 88 bucks, I'm sure it junk even if it does make it to your door. Any suggestions for a suitable replacement?

yertnamreg

Looks like the gen head used in this swap is no longer available. There are a few over seas sellers, but at 88 bucks, I'm sure it junk even if it does make it to your door. Any suggestions for a suitable replacement?
You're looking for something with a J609B flange. I'm guessing due to the pandemic supply is rather constrained. I was able to find one that should work:

RobertoGatos

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the link, but dang, thats about what the dewy cost! Are you concerned about it being too large a head? Would there be a downside to being oversized?

yertnamreg

Thanks for the link, but dang, thats about what the dewy cost! Are you concerned about it being too large a head? Would there be a downside to being oversized?
I doubt you would be able to get the full rated power out of this head, but there's no reason it wouldn't work that I see. Just check the dimensions:

You could just put a breaker (which you should put on anyway) on the output to limit the power. With the 6.5kw "northstar" head (which is really a Mecc Alte) I was able to fully load it and the engine didn't mind. These heads are normally rated for horsepower on a gas engine, but what the really need is the torque to keep them spinning at the appropriate speed when they're under load. These little diesels have way more torque at a given HP rating so I believe they can be fitted with a larger gen head than what the head mfg recommend.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the Dewey units are finally all moved out, so its all piece meal now. With that said, like stated above... it'll run it, probably just not at the full rated output. But Id say you are good for at least 6kw

RobertoGatos

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hah, finally went to pull the trigger on that 8400 watt head, and brand-new engines says they do not ship to my address. Somehow that doesn't surprise me. I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks