• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hurricane rescue Build

Country 1970

I'm about to purchase a 5 ton to use in high water hurricane rescues. If I purchase a 5 ton M923, any perticular recommendations on up fitting it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Reroute all your vent lines up higher. Waterproof every connection. Relocate your air box as I dont trust the seal in the stock air box. Put big 1600s on it for maximum clearance

You can also look at dump trucks. Just smaller. But at least it has a dual purpose. You can haul sand and other things while not being used for water rescue

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Any of them are decent. 929s will bring a little more. Either variant is fine. 930s are a little more rare and hard to find.

817s can sell for 4000 to 7000 depending on condition.

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Call me old fashioned but I am going to draw on years of experience doing water rescues when I lived out east as well as experience with upfitting trucks for rescue agencies. In my opinion, a deuce would be my platform of choice for water rescues. The primary reason is that they have manual transmissions and are a bit simpler in terms of electronics as well as engines. If not a deuce then the next best platform in my opinion would be an 800 series 5-ton.

When I upfit a truck for water, I put in a variable pressure system for all the gearboxes, bell housing, axles, etc. The kicker here is that at any time you could still have a seal breach and get water infiltration (the pressure system should never be looked at as waterproofing, but merely increasing water resistance over time)-- as pertains to the transmission, on a manual trans truck water infiltration into the trans is not catastrophic immediately. However, on an automatic you could be dead in the water within minutes.

Additionally, the intakes on the older trucks have fewer connection points (joints) which equates to fewer potential infiltration points (and they don't route below the cab).

The power steering also worries me in water.... while not necessarily that vulnerable, when water does find its way in bad things can happen...... this point applies equally to the 800 series 5-tons as well as the newer ones but I figured I would throw it out there.

These would be the main points for me.........

Z

Country 1970

Ziggy, what would all of that run? How can you seal the drivers cab so you don't get drenched driving a rain storms

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is only so much you can do to seal up a deuce cab against the weather----and if you are in flood waters, you are getting wet regardless... As for costs, if you are diligent with hunting down components yourself (i.e. on ebay, etc.) and aren't against the clock, you could upfit a deuce for $300-400 or less in components plus your time to put it all together. That price doesn't include any other gear you would need to, in my opinion, safely operate in a flood zone. One of my personal deuces is upfitted and in addition to the stuff I mentioned above, I have emergency lighting, reliable comms, flood and spot lights fitted (all add on electronics are at drivers eye level or higher). I also have tactical life vests for my "crew" in addition to some technical (rope) rescue gear and helmets. When I used to do water rescues when living out east, it was our protocol that no truck entered the water without a crew of at least three people-- driver, co-driver, and at least one person in the back who was our "loadmaster" (sometimes we also had ems/police in the back as well depending on the area we were going into). Driver's role was driving only-- coms, manning the spotlights, etc. were all co-driver duties. The loadmaster had the final say as to when we rolled again once we stopped to pick up people (very important-- we had one incident where someone came up to the truck in a small inflatable boat and tied it off to the pass side foot loop on the tailgate without telling anyone-- if it weren't for one of the guys seeing it and shouting for the truck to not move, that guy could have had a really bad day as his line was crossed over his boat from the opposite side and he could have been drug under (it turned out he was under the influence and ended up getting arrested for interfering with our rescue efforts but that is another story). Some people might scoff at that and say how bad could it be for him in only 3-4 feet of water; but then think about what could have happened if he got dragged into the rear wheels.

Remember, every action comes at a consequence (i.e. a cost)--- the key here is to make sure the costs don't outweigh the outcome of the mission. Maybe I am jumping the gun, but I will say it anyway for anyone who wants to help with rescues: know your equipment to the point you could close your eyes and visualize where everything is proportionately to everything else. Know where your contact points are at all times. Try to get a protocol together in advance and get everyone on the same page. And never, ever, EVER, self-deploy.

Z

Last edited:

jmb6741

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would definitely at the least move the air filter housing up from under the step/cab because one of our local fire dept. trucks was doing a high water rescue recently and the gasket was rolled on the air filter and sucked water into the engine. Fortunately they were able to remove the injectors and spin it over and clear the water without any major damage!

Country 1970

We were involved in Florence using our POVs and could have drowned them more than once. I am a former 68W and I just want to get a good truck setup for these rescues. I wanted to do the M1083 but have since had several guys tell me that would be way dumb.

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally, I would have to agree with those who said not to use the m1083 or other fmtv/lmtv variants----- there is too much in those trucks that can go wrong at the most inopportune time (not to mention costly to fix).........

take your time and plan out the truck---- there are a lot of good resources here to help you out (and you can feel free to message me if you want to get more in depth on the technical aspects of water fording).........

Z

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would definitely at the least move the air filter housing up from under the step/cab because one of our local fire dept. trucks was doing a high water rescue recently and the gasket was rolled on the air filter and sucked water into the engine. Fortunately they were able to remove the injectors and spin it over and clear the water without any major damage!
Yep, same happened with one of my trucks in the 2016 S.LA floods. Water through the air filter stopped the truck, but no permanent damage. Replace axle vents with nipples and tubing as SIMP5782 mentioned.

runk

Beyond the basic truck mechanical issues -
exterior lights
interior (bed lights) (some of the people you may rescue may be pretty freaked out or need medical attention)
How to get people into the truck ? Most of the agency owned deuces/ 5 tonnes / LMTVs here in the Houston are have had lift gates added. From personal experience even a good ladder is a very poor substitute. Lifting someone in a wheelchair into one of our trucks, even with a lot of help, sucks.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not meaning to off track but my daydream would be Wet suit for the OP. Large john boat with cover and waver runner as it can operate in two foot of water. Seems like sometimes you see the outboards out there helping but there motors are up because of the depth of water. Seems like even with the best truck you could still get in trouble if you go off into a hole or something with people on board. I would not want to be responsible for doing more harm than good to my passengers that might be lawyers. Just believe the best high water rescue craft has to float. Maybe something like a jet boat john boat.

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wanting to build a Disaster Response Vehicle is a noble ambition indeed.

Before you go much further I HIGHLY recommend that you take a few moments and read SARGE's story of his epic HURRICANE KATRINA mission with his Deuce.... The link is found in this thread https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?2660-Katrina-Deuce-Story-MUST-READ along with substantial follow-up commentary.

Should you, after reading this chronicle, decide to proceed with your plans our prayers go with you.

John
SS Chaplain

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks