• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Internet diagnostics

snowtrac nome

What I would do is get some engine de greaser than go to the magic wand car wash and clean every thing up. after it dries off you should be able to run it a short time to find the leak. With the cab down and the fan blowing the velocity of the air moving over the engine will blow oil every place. the leak appears at the front of the engine look long and hard at the steel line feeding oil to the governor.

319cssb

What I would do is get some engine de greaser than go to the magic wand car wash and clean every thing up. after it dries off you should be able to run it a short time to find the leak. With the cab down and the fan blowing the velocity of the air moving over the engine will blow oil every place. the leak appears at the front of the engine look long and hard at the steel line feeding oil to the governor.
Did you look at the video?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hate to be a party pooper but next thing to check are the driveshaft slip joints for ANY movement up/down. Vibration from there is what shakes this all loose at highway speeds. Have him check the alternator for loose bolts as well.

coachgeo

Last edited:

319cssb

Hate to be a party pooper but next thing to check are the driveshaft slip joints for ANY movement up/down. Vibration from there is what shakes this all loose at highway speeds. Have him check the alternator for loose bolts as well.
thx I will pass on the info

pontiac62

Stop drill a hole in this sounds kind of counter intuitive . But I guess it needs to be done
While you got your timing cover off be good to make sure you have the upgraded locking nut on the air compressor. The old style has a tendency of coming off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man of few words

M1081 LVAD

319cssb

What is the upgraded locking nut? I'll buy it just in case. Once I go the timing cover off , I would want to replace it right then , if it's the old style.
I think I'll give this product a try on the crack
https://youtu.be/J8yfCDvXFds

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A lot of this info (e.g. cracked front housings, loose air compressor brackets, drive shaft vibrations, etc.) is in my troubleshooting doc in my signature.

The nut he's referring to is the one on the front of the gear of the air compressor. With the front cover off it is accessible. The original has come loose on people before, and Cat now recommends the locking nut. You just replace the original with a locking nut (and I'd probably put Loctite on it too). I'm not sure what size it is (it's big, like 1"), but if you find out, please report back and I'll write it down for future people.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the upgraded locking nut? I'll buy it just in case. Once I go the timing cover off , I would want to replace it right then , if it's the old style.
I think I'll give this product a try on the crack
https://youtu.be/J8yfCDvXFds
Just remember that you're dealing with thin aluminum, not steel. The most important thing is replacing or tightening ALL of the loose bolts on the compressor/mount and case before anything gets repaired.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks