• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a2 transmission oil quantity

its me

Hi all,

quick question as I haven’t got access to a manual.

what quantity of oil do I put in to the transmission on a m923a2 transmission. I’m changing pan filter and external filter also.

if anyone does have a link for a pdf manual that would be handy.

all the best
kyle

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The parts spreadsheet is in the stickies of this section. It is all in there

its me

Perfect just found it very helpful. Just to confirm it’s either 10w or 15w40 oil as stated in manual

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or do the swap to Dextron as I just did since I had to pull the trans. Think the 10W just ate my reverse.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Or do the swap to Dextron as I just did since I had to pull the trans. Think the 10W just ate my reverse.
10w and dextron are the same viscosity. Dextron just has detergents and anti wear additives. Universal transmission fluid is high strength low viscosity oil that works the same.

It all came from the same dinosaur's rear

its me

Thanks for the reply chaps.

So if I’m not mistaken 10w is a hydraulic oil?
also I can put 15w/40 engine oil in the gear box also?

Steelreaper80

A lot of people are saying to switch to Dextron III. Is Dex VI the synthetic equivalent and would it be better than Dex III? What about the new Trans/Syd that Allison now recommends? Both of mine have 10W in them. One has about 40,000 miles on it and the other has about 12,000. Should I swap to Dex or just refill with 10W or 15W40?

MAdams

The only problem with DEX III is that it starts to degrade over 200 degrees and it supposedly is burnt at 225. With the coolant trans cooler, and the coolant running near 200 most of the time while not moving....

DEX IV is suppose to handle heat better

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea Trans/Syd is a great. With Trans/Syd you only save money because it will go higher miles before a change. If you had to change out regular trans fluid every time Allison model called for a change and have to have a shop do it it is cheaper to run the Trans/Syd. and run 300k. My .02 The engine oil was ok by Allison and it could take the higher Temps, of heavy loads, higher RPM and lower ground speed. The Trans/Syd should do better with the heat. Problem if you don't use the machine that's designed to change out the fluid then you just mixing fluids and you will use more Trans/Syd in the long run. I run motor oil in my 915 and I won't change it till the transmission needs to be rebuilt.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks