• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24 volt coil issues

royldebolt

I just acquired a M151 from a guy who has given up on the 24 volt coil problems. The vent line is properly connected, but chrome coils don't last a week. Is there a simple solution? I see suggestions to add a ballast resistor to lower the voltage to the coil, but no part number is offered. I'm also wondering if I can use a UNIMOG S404 coil outside of the distributer compartment in hopes of getting better ventilation. I don't know if adding another 12 volt battery to only run the ignition coil would work (with a separate alternator). Surely someone has developed a solution. I would appreciate any guidance on the solution other owners are using. THANKS!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know what you are going through. First of all welcome to the site. These crap chrome coils have been an issue for many years now and nobody is dealing with the problem in the supply chain. Personally, I am using old US military coils. It is possible to mount a coil outside the ignitor, and run a solid core ignition wire through the hole where the filter capacitor usually is, up to the little spring on the distributor cap.

royldebolt

I know what you are going through. First of all welcome to the site. These crap chrome coils have been an issue for many years now and nobody is dealing with the problem in the supply chain. Personally, I am using old US military coils. It is possible to mount a coil outside the ignitor, and run a solid core ignition wire through the hole where the filter capacitor usually is, up to the little spring on the distributor cap.
Thank you for that feedback. I assume that relocating the coil outside of the housing will allow better ventilation and help solve the overheating issue. Would you suggest using a UNIMOG S404 coil that is 24 volt since they are available as NOS? I'm not sure if they are more hearty than the M151 coils that fit inside the distributor cap housing. Thanks again!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a good idea, let us know how it works out. ANYTHING is better than those chrome coils.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks