• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this an M38A1 or just a CJ-5?

I came across this jeep for sale here in Italy. I thought at first it was a CJ-5 but then I noticed the battery box on the cowl which did not make sense. Also, there is a DC outlet behind the driver's seat (Photo attachment 6). Could this be a CJ-5 in M38A1's guise? It does not look like the Dutch-built Nekaf to me. I have attached ten pix. I await your comments.:smile:

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I'm gonna say it's a knockoff.

1. Jeep logo stamped in both sides.

2. Gas filler tube not at the driver's seat (it's on the right rear).

3. Map box (glove box) not on driver's side left of steering column.

4. Small lights in the grill.

5. Looks like it has a tailgate with JEEP stamped on it.

Someone did a pretty good job of making it LOOK like an M38A1.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M38A1-50Cal-Banner-Logo.pngshowpic.jpg On a M38A1, the jumper plug is in the bowl below the battery box (pic 1) and the gas filler is in front of the l/h rear wheel (pic 2). Also the keyed ignition switch is commercial Jeep. As papa bear stated, someone spent some time to make it look like an M38A1.

Last edited:

fasttruck

Vehicle has a one lever transfer shifter, no BO lights or NATO light switch, one piece windshield. However speculate it could have been made either by Kaiser Jeep or one of their licensees overseas for a military customer. Remember while serving in sunny southeast Asia that our Vietnamese allies have jeeps that resembled a CJ3A
that did not have all the goodies found on genuine US originals.

HotTubTimeMachine

Knock off

My M38A1 is not perfect but the body is mostly there.
Split windshield, fuel tank under the seat with the large fuel cap. Both front window and grill can be removed by pivoting them to 45 degrees and lifting them out.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a few military CJ5s out there, so that Jeep could have in fact been in the military. It could have also been a CJ5 built for some foreign military and re-badged with US markings. As far as I know, it's not some "M" series US MV.

Dieseljeeper

It is also possible that it's a model built in Europe using older tooling. A lot of US manufacturers do this. I have a Ferguson TO35 tractor that hasn't been built in the US since the early 70's that is currently being produce in Turkey and India for African markets

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCF2138.jpg This might help. This handle is bolted to the frame on the left and right sides of my 1953 M38A1. It's located just under the driver and passenger seats, and is used to tie down the Jeep during shipping. I don't think these handles would be present on a civilian Jeep.2cents

Last edited:

Papero

I am the new owner of this mistery Jeep
The Jeep was built by Kaiser in 1970 in the Toledo plant for the swiss army .
The rear view mirrors and the tail lights are swiss made and very similar to those used on Pinzgauer 710/712 ( sure of this since I own a Pinz 712 )
As per the first 7 digits of the VIN number ( 8305014 ) it is a CJ5 , open body , universal , left hand drive , F134 w/out emission .
In my opinion it is a mix in between a CJ5 and an M38A1 .
Some feature belong to M38 A1 ( 24V, dash board - but not the glove box -, wipers - vacuum-, suspension , soft top hardware etc ) ; others as front lights ,
rear seat , tail gate and fuel tank are the same on sililar period CJ5.
It is not clear to me were the heating control comes from ( two knobs are not original .
You can find similare Jeep for sale ( as ex swiss army Kaiser Jeep ) on some german and swiss site
If anyone can help on my searh of the original heating knobs ………….:confused:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks