• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing Ford 300-I6 into Unimog 404

RoJoGro

Bought the Unimog with lots of engine parts missing and decided to install a Ford 300 Inline 6 instead (happen to have access to one).
I have seen some posts of Unimogs with this Ford engine installed and now hope someone would know links or other helpful info.
In particular I am looking for the adapterplate to mount engine onto the Unimog Tranny.
Helpful to know, the Unimog is a '65 and the 300 is from a '86 F150.
One person who has done it got the place from Pete's Place in 2000, but cannot remember where this fabricator (CNC shop perhaps) is located and if its still open.

Last edited:

RoJoGro

am back on the project. Had to get the F300 rebuild and it's almost done. Good for a try-fit of the adapter plate to check on the hole pattern and the cutout location for the starter.
And found out that the hole pattern of the flywheel is not quite matching. holes are off by about 1/64". A small job for a milling machine.Flywheel-holepattern.jpg
The 'outer' holes are the Unimog and the inner from the F300. the center's offset is only ~0.8mm.
here the offset enlarged:
Flywheel-hole-offset.png

To help aligning the two flywheel I used my 3D-printer to print this:
Flywheel-alignment-tool.jpg
It fits into the lager Unimog flywheel and smaller Ford flywheel center holes.

Last edited:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you considered road speed? With no overdrive transmission and axle ratios around 7.5, engine rpm needs to be high. The M180 engines are happy at 5000-6000 rpm all day, with peak hp even higher.

But you will have a great trail machine!

AkBillyBow

Not sure where you are with this project. I recently purchased a 404 with the same Ford 300 in it. The original owner installed the 300 with a C6 tranny and a 205 transfer case. It all seems to work well together. I don't know a whole lot about it, but hopefully this will show you another way to install the 300 into yours.

AkBillyBow

RoJoGro

Update (sorry for the delay) I ended up deciding for the original M180 and abandon the E300 conversion.
The M180 engine I got had most of the missing parts I needed and is now in place. Some of the cooling hoses I had to make.
The current state is the Unimog has a running engine - but have not driven it yet.
The cab is off and being worked on.
I am far behind schedule but its coming together....
The tranny has to be checked out and the breaks (had to get a new master cylinder).
The air-brake booster is missing and I'll use it without for now.

RoJoGro

if someone finds those drawing helpful, here are two DXF files, one for the original adapter and the 2nd adding the 300 holes:
However I never made anything out of them, and no guaranty for accuracy.
I used Fusion360 for the drawing and am happy to share the *.f3d files too if there is interest.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks