• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

vehicle identification

exoilfld

Just bought an m35a2 from Iron Planet. The dash plate serial number is scratched out and not readable. The numbers on the frame are 0538 13641. It was sold as an am general, no year indicated. I found some old service papers that said the serial number is 122620, but no year. Anyone know what the frame numbers mean?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks to David Doyle for this info:

“05”
trucks were contracted in 1970. This lot was one of thelargest groups, comprised of some 16,000 trucks. Three manufacturers completedthis lot. The first of these appeared with Kaiser-Jeep data plates, followed bythe brief use of General Products Division plates, and finally AM Generalnameplates.

The next two numbers, or chassis designator, indicate the type of truckalong these lines:
21- M44A2 cab and chassis
22- M46A2C
23- M342A2
24- M275A2 without winch
25- M35A2 without winch
27- M36A2 extra long wheel base cargo without winch
28- M49A2C
30- M185A3 without winch
32- M109A3
33- M292 style expansible van
34- M45A2 without winch
35- M756A2
36- M764
39- M35A2 with winch

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should definitely use those as the VIN. Buy a new data plate and stamp those numbers there as well. The tax office will understand that a 1970 vehicle will not have a 17 digit standard VIN.

77 AMG

Okay. Just to throw up a "Hold IT!" moment, my truck has the following listed- 0525-17XXX for the information in the tag spot. It HAS a winch, to boot. So, I guess that the contract number is larger, and maybe, a little bit odder than is held to be "known"? Also, the manufacturer info is NOT stamped, but, her papers state AMG.

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Okay. Just to throw up a "Hold IT!" moment, my truck has the following listed- 0525-17XXX for the information in the tag spot. It HAS a winch, to boot. So, I guess that the contract number is larger, and maybe, a little bit odder than is held to be "known"? Also, the manufacturer info is NOT stamped, but, her papers state AMG.
Is your data tag original? The winch could have been added during it's military service or in civilian life.

77 AMG

I think that the plate is original, as it looks as abused as the rest of the truck. I am still needing to find a frame stamping to confirm. I will have that next weekend. I agree that it is possible that the winch was added at some point, just as the engine is a LDT-465-1 with a turbo, block cast 3-20-70, installed as an update at sometime, but, the truck has the old Gasser style mirror brackets on it, along with Gasser D/S side plate on the nose. My truck is weird, I guess.

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your data plate says right there WO/W, so yes, the winch was added. Winch added = good thing.

russojap

That data plate looks brand new compared to mine. Does anybody sell the data plate separately? I can only find it as part of a set. Do they make an exact copy of mine, the ones I found don't look the same? Thanks

​Edit: After looking at the plate closer I noticed it says MFD BY General Products Division, Jeep Corporation , but the title says AM General. It has the AM General logo on the plate so it must have been AM General.
IMG_20181010_101501.jpgIMG_20181010_102037.jpg
IMG_20181010_091604.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

exoilfld

There is a smaller plate riveted to the dash that is supposed to have the serial number, but the plate is torn up pretty bad. I have not seen those for sale any where. Anyone know where to get one?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks