• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting From Generator to Alternator

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This morning around 4:30 while out with the dog I smelled the faint but unmistakable smell of electrical burning. I walked by the deuce and caught a strong whiff. I disconnected the batteries and started looking in the cab and under the hood. Yup, you guessed it, stupid Generator. Lucky it didn't burn the truck down. I had a previous incident with the generator on my HMMWV which had done it's best to try and catch fire while I was driving about 2 weeks ago. So after I converted that to an alternator I purchased another one to eventually change the deuce over as well. Eventually came sooner than I expected. I was pretty simple using 1-1/4" x 1/4" bar stock, some grade 8 bolts, and a spacer. Anyway, here are the results.

View attachment 744558View attachment 744559View attachment 744560View attachment 744561
Where did you get the alternator?
Dave, Longwood, FL

Barrman

I converted my Gasser M35 from a 25 amp generator to a 60 amp alternator. I had to change the pulley. Everything else mounting wise was a direct bolt on. Wiring of course was different.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks