• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stump jumpin' deuce frame damage

Six Pack

So, I'm a new deuce owner with several mangled frame cross members. The truck began life as an M764, but has been highly modified (prior to me buying it). Currently she is set up with a dump bed. The rear transfer case cross member is the worst by far, the front t-case member is iffy, and the rear most cross member in the frame is also bent thanks to what I assume is some overly aggressive recovery attempts. My best guess is that at some point she might have run away on a hill and whacked some stumps or rocks on the t-case. The case looks good, but everything else is bent.

My question is, will the frame cross members from any M35a2 work with an M764 or are there differences?

(P.S. I'm looking for some T-case cross members).

Six Pack

Only picture I've got so far. I'll try to get more tomorrow. Rear transfer case cross member from above. No comments about the paint job.... bought it this way!cross member.jpg

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The damage to cross members is serious & can lead to structural failures. Like raising a loaded dump bed on the slightest of uneven ground, can be the last straw.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow

I may know someone getting rid of a frame. I'll check and let you know.
Bring a torch. I have two 'pieces of frames', with the longer one only missing the front 6" and back 18 inches of being complete, other one still has the t-case on it so those crossmembers are good too.

Six Pack

Thanks Robb. I appreciate you looking.

Rosco: No loads on this wreck yet. She needs a quite a bit more attention before being worked very hard.

Couple more pics of the damage.20181013_125536.jpg20181013_125715 (1).jpg

Six Pack

Yeah, some people have no common sense when it comes to operating a piece of equipment. Oh well, it's my problem now! Hospital....I like that!

No progress on the frame yet, but I did get all the filters changed. Pretty sure all the filters I removed were OE. Thanks to SS I knew what I was getting into and it still sucked! I thought I might be able to avoid dropping the cash on the spin on's but clearly I was mistaken. After changing the fuel filters I flipped on the power to bleed the air out and even though I could hear the pump running like before, I was getting no fuel at the one bleeder I had'nt broken off the secondary housing yet. So I drained the tank again, pulled the pump, and big surprise parts are missing. One of which is directly below the pump, but where are the rest of them? Enter the bore scope. PIA to use but did help locate some parts behind the rear baffle. After fishing out all the parts (I hope), straightening out the pump itself, reassembling and safety wiring back together, I reinstalled the pump. After pouring the fuel back into the tank the bleeding went pretty smooth.

The point of this story is this...just because you can hear the pump running does'nt mean it's actually doing anything useful. I have'nt started the truck in over a week, probably had air in the lines, had to use a small sniff of ether after sitting for a couple of days as it was, and it is 30 degrees colder today than the last start (33 degrees and snowing) and it still started better than ever before.

I know this is nothing new, but it is still a good feeling to slowly bring the old girl back to life.

Some pics: Never mind, can't seem to attach pics now.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks