• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2.5 or 5 ton truck?

I'm building my dream truck but I don't know if I should go with the regular Deuce or M813. My priorities:
1 Parts availability
2 Required maintenance
3 Power (multifuel or NHC 250) pros/cons
4 Performance on/off road
5 SHEER AWW effect.
I want to crew cab my truck, throw some 46" or bigger on, snorkel, all the bells and whistles. This will be a daily driver and toy, I do pipe welding for most of the year but I also do disaster relief (hurricanes, floods, ect), so it needs to be insanely reliable and tough. Again this will be my dream truck so no holds barred.
Side note: I will be keeping all 3 axles on.
PS: any way to sync mid and rear axles to turn the same rate?

Full air brakes means CDL I'm trying to avoid that if at all possible. I have VERY limited info on the 809 series, but I know my way around a Deuce. I just want to know if there's any reason why a 809 series would be better.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Full air brakes means CDL I'm trying to avoid that if at all possible. I have VERY limited info on the 809 series, but I know my way around a Deuce. I just want to know if there's any reason why a 809 series would be better.
GVWR is the trigger in many states for CDL. The 809 series has more or less the same GVWR as the 939s. You may want to check before considering one. I suspect if the 939s require a CDL the 809s will also. (I have NO IDEA what SC wants).

Advantages of an 809series over a deuce -

1) Power steering

2) the big Cummins

3) higher GVWR

4) everything is bigger

5) can accommodate bigger wheels and tires without losing an axle.

6) the air cleaner on the fender is really cool...

Pic of my M818 with HEMTT rims and 16.00's....

Screenshot_20181006-130900_Gallery.jpg

jimbo66348

Any motor vehicle with a gvw of 26,001lb, needs a CDL. This is the weight stamped on the tag, not what it is registered for. Also, you need a class A CDL to pull any trailer with a gvw over 10,000lb, and if your combined truck/trailer gvw is over 26,001lb. This is for all 50 states, since the feds took over the regulations.

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would vote for m809 series trucks. I have 3 m35's and 2 m51 dumps as well as one m925. The dump trucks are okay empty but if you load them they almost only run in low range. I've attempted loads in high and had to stop on a hill because the truck will die to the point of choking out. One option for the CDL is a class F license it's a heavy non commercial. When I tested are used a 931 with a trailer and basically took the standard CDL test but without the pre-trip inspection. The license is kind of a gray area but it was originally created for a class A motorhome pulling a trailer. You are not allowed to do anything for profit.
IMG_4573.jpg

99nouns

Any motor vehicle with a gvw of 26,001lb, needs a CDL. This is the weight stamped on the tag, not what it is registered for. Also, you need a class A CDL to pull any trailer with a gvw over 10,000lb, and if your combined truck/trailer gvw is over 26,001lb. This is for all 50 states, since the feds took over the regulations.
When did that happen?

tobyS

"any way to sync mid and rear axles to turn the same rate?" What do you mean by that?

I like the 809 series. Buy 98G's truck and add a 939 series cab to the rear and a short bed.....wallah!!....you got that dream truck.

One good thing with the 809 series is the battery location which frees up cab space for a proper passenger seat and console.

Attachments

Last edited:

tobyS

Only when engaged in interstate commerce. Otherwise it doesn't apply. When not engaged in interstate commerce it defaults to whatever each individual state laws say. .
In Indiana, it's any commerce at all...doesn't have to be interstate.

I've heard that the mid axle is geared different than the rear. That the tires fight each other on pavement.
I'm glad I don't need an CDL. I'm gonna go with either an M54A2 or M52A2 and build it from there.
About that m51 dump truck bogging down what engine was it?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Indiana, it's any commerce at all...doesn't have to be interstate.
That's Indiana law. Many states mirror federal law. The federal law only kicks in once you trigger the interstate commerce clause.

Bottom line - always check with someone knowledgeable for the details of YOUR state. (Unfortunately "someone knowledgeable" usually does not include DMV employees)

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've heard that the mid axle is geared different than the rear. That the tires fight each other on pavement.
I'm glad I don't need an CDL. I'm gonna go with either an M54A2 or M52A2 and build it from there.
About that m51 dump truck bogging down what engine was it?
The axles are geared the same. 6.44:1

M51A2 would have been multifuel. The NH250 Cummins is a good deal more powerful, especially on low end torque. (Multifuel is cool though...)

pmramsey

You guys rock thanks. I'll be buying multifuel bc shtf stuff like hurricanes.
One day you will discover there is an M54A1 truck powered by a Mack ENDT-673 turbo diesel. The later ones run at 220 HP, ovedrive transmission, power steering. I have been working on a cab off restoration since 2015. All it needs is new paint, trim decals, and its done. Its my last truck. Mack built these machines right. Rebuilding one only convinced me all the more.

99nouns

You guys rock thanks. I'll be buying multifuel bc shtf stuff like hurricanes.
I am sorry to bring this up out of no where but we at SS try to keep as family friendly as possible, I see you are a new member, why did you need to put such a graphic nick name for your self??? Are you trying to remind us of something???

Sent from my LGMS659 using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks