• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2.5 or 5 ton truck?

My name is my own concern, deathvow is personal to me and is in no way a reminder to anyone but me. If your so sensitive go away, you don't have to come to my post to pick a fight over something so trivial. I'm only here to glean information that would be otherwise a pain to gather.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"I've heard that the mid axle is geared different than the rear." No....not.

What you are referring to, I think, is an 809 series transfer case.

The front output shaft (inside of the TC, before the Sprag) is going slower rpm than the rear output shaft and there is a one way clutch to relieve the difference in RPM. The rear is always trying to over-run the front in the TC gears, but the ratio on the axles is the same.

A 939 series and deuce A3 have 1;1 front and back, I'm not sure about earlier deuces, if they had a sprag or not. If it has a sprag, they are not geared the same, front and rear in the TC.

Last edited:

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've heard that the mid axle is geared different than the rear. That the tires fight each other on pavement.
I'm glad I don't need an CDL. I'm gonna go with either an M54A2 or M52A2 and build it from there.
About that m51 dump truck bogging down what engine was it?
Multi powering it. I'd imagine less than 12tons on the load. So they are pretty weak in my opinion. If you just drive it for fun it will be okay, but if you want to pull or load it heavy it's not going anywhere fast. Mack motor m54 series or nhc250 m809 would be my recommendation. I have a m925a2 intercooled and turned up that will pull the world.

jimbo66348

It was years ago, when the gov wanted to standardize regs across the states. It was before obama. I believe when Bush was pres. All of the CDL laws changed. The gov wiped out all the loopholes.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
New question, what are the 809 series cab inside dimensions?
M54 m809 and m35 canlb dimensions are the same. M939 is a little larger inside.

I'm 6'2" and I find the clutch pedal decidedly awkward in the 809s.

Lockers on the front - a Detroit locker in the rears will occasionally get you a chirp of the tires on tight turns and will wear everything faster, especially tires. A Detroit on the front will fight you in turns. You want selectable lockers up front....

Last edited:

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've heard that the mid axle is geared different than the rear. That the tires fight each other on pavement.
I'm glad I don't need an CDL. I'm gonna go with either an M54A2 or M52A2 and build it from there.
About that m51 dump truck bogging down what engine was it?
Maybe an M54A2 like this one?
M54A2_2.jpg

Gorgeous, I would love to have one. The M54A2 is exactly what I'm looking for.
I can't seem to find any though. I found a M52A2 but it is a tractor I want a crew cab with a bed.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New question, what are the 809 series cab inside dimensions?
The 809 uses the same cab as the deuce. The 939 is wider. Both taper (wider in the back than the front). The front of a 939 series is about the same as the back of the the 809 series. Thus the cab has a consistent taper when using the larger cab behind the smaller one for crew cab.

How much do you expect this truck to cost? Is the bank overflowing with money.... I may need to change banks.

The tractor is the best to build from in my opinion, due to the short frame. I like having the air brake control too.

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 809 uses the same cab as the deuce. The 939 is wider. Both taper (wider in the back than the front). The front of a 939 series is about the same as the back of the the 809 series. Thus the cab has a consistent taper when using the larger cab behind the smaller one for crew cab.

How much do you expect this truck to cost? Is the bank overflowing with money.... I may need to change banks.

The tractor is the best to build from in my opinion, due to the short frame. I like having the air brake control too.
Im with you on the trolley valve. I think the only issue is the tractor is to short to crew cab,the front axle will easily get into the cab with minimal flex. The option with the tractor frame would to be a Chevy Tahoe style notch to allow tire to clear but it would be pretty involved.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tractor is the best to build from in my opinion, due to the short frame. I like having the air brake control too.[/QUOTE]

And the twin tanks... and it fits in a normal parking place.

The tractor variants are not much less nimble than a longbed dually pickup. The difference in maneuverability between the tractor and the cargo truck is bigger than you'd anticipate.

I don't think there's room for a 4 door cab though...

Last edited by a moderator:

dmetalmiki

The M54A2 truck is strong capable, and quite usable if maintained and serviced to the schedule.
I have had my "mobile (Army!) home" some 14 years now. Steady cruise 55 low R.P.M.s (Large tires on made up (wider) Wheels. And returns a good 17+ M.P.G. on 'contam'. The power steering is excellent, And the comfort with a spring seat for the passenger, and a Citroen CX. car seat for the driver makes for comfort enough.
And I quite like the look. (attained).

Attachments

Any motor vehicle with a gvw of 26,001lb, needs a CDL. This is the weight stamped on the tag, not what it is registered for. Also, you need a class A CDL to pull any trailer with a gvw over 10,000lb, and if your combined truck/trailer gvw is over 26,001lb. This is for all 50 states, since the feds took over the regulations.
Except if you farm plate them. Then everything changes. But it limits travel to 150 miles away. And a few other limitations. In Michigan anyhow

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M54s come up for sale now and again (craigslist & such) but it's rare that they're listed by their model number. They're usually called just a 5 ton army truck or 6x6 army truck by owners who don't know. Making your search more vague may help you stumble across the right truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks