• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New To Me 1994 M998A1

Mike Gardner

Hello everyone. Last week I bought my first military vehicle. I got a Fort Meade National Guard M998A1. I’ve been a civilian Willys and Jeep owner for 20+ years. I’ve wanted a HMMWV since I was 7-ish, I’m 42 now. Anyway I’ve been working on all the small things like changing fluids and filters. I’ve begun changing all the lights out to Truck-Lite LEDs. I upgraded my orig control box from the green sticker to the new smart box. Now my wait light flashes then goes not..... no start.... I’m going to replace the glow plug controller unit on the cross over tube next.

i searched the page but can’t find anything g that really matched my situation.

therooster2001

Congrats on the HMMWV. If you swapped boxes hot, or were victim to old tech,then you probably killed the glow plugs. There might be a couple of other things to check and test as well. The flash / no start has a lot of threads, keep searching. The basic is a grounding harness, did you install one? Did you swap the EESS with the battery disconnected? Have you checked the glow plugs? Ohm them out. Hopefully they just are gone because of the old EESS, and your new one is good to go. You'll get it back working...

Action

the box and piece in crossover tube should be replaced in matched sets. they do not all work with each other. IIRC, the green KDS did not even need the other part hooked up.

therooster2001

Ohm the plugs regardless, that will tell you if you need to replace them. If you swap anyway, it's piece of mind knowing the age and condition. Just beware of swollen plugs potential before you get into it. Don't force, and you might want to invest / borrow a puller before you start.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nartron S3 12480779 uses sensor 12480779-2
KDS ..S3 6500435 uses sensor CR2696A

jmb6741

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the addiction of MV’s! Did you unhook the batteries when you swapped start boxes? Be careful pulling glow plugs, definitely use a puller and have patience! We swapped a set on a truck using a puller and actually pulled it apart and dropped some pieces in the cylinder. Then came removing the injector and fishing for a couple of hours with magnets and hemostats to remove the pieces. In the end got them all replaced and started like champ! Good luck on your adventure!

Mike Gardner

Welcome to the addiction of MV’s! Did you unhook the batteries when you swapped start boxes? Be careful pulling glow plugs, definitely use a puller and have patience! We swapped a set on a truck using a puller and actually pulled it apart and dropped some pieces in the cylinder. Then came removing the injector and fishing for a couple of hours with magnets and hemostats to remove the pieces. In the end got them all replaced and started like champ! Good luck on your adventure!
I have disconnected my batteries while working on it. After I got everything hooked back up and got the blinking no starting I unhooked batteries again.

Mike Gardner

From what I heard my old box was one known to cause problems. I had a short and figured it needed to just start replacing things that may be a issue.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Green box required no TSU in the water crossover, though they were left in anyway, 99% of the time from the early PCB which means you have a glow plug controller in the water crossover.
ALL EESS’s use a TSU temperature sending unit in lieu of the old GPC.
ALL TSU’s are backwards compatible with all EESS’s regardless of whether it’s an early EESS or a later S3 EESS.

Mike Gardner

Was the old box not working?
When my truck shorted out it fried 2 grounds. Not knowing what to do I unplugged the box. I was told that if the battery is connected and the box is unplugged before unhooking the battery it’s 99% likely it’s done. From advice of others I decided to change it out for the new smart start box. The old box is the green sticker which I’m told is problematic. I guess if I hook it back up it can’t hurt.

Mike Gardner

Right now I have reinstalled the old box. Installed a new TSU. The truck now runs great but there’s an issue with my throttle. It only runs under idle no matter how hard I push on the pedal. Since I’ve only owned the truck for about two weeks I still have a lot of basic preventative maintenance to do to it so changing out filters and such are top priority as well as making sure it’s safe.
My throttle cable seems extremely loose but nothing has changed since the day I picked it up and drove it home . I know the ground that I burnt up his number 30 which in the reading has something to do with left fuel tank. Seeing that this does not have a left fuel tank maybe it has something to do with the fuel pump or the tank. I’m going to change the fuel filter and then inspect the ground at the fuel pump.

Action

Are you trying to say that the throttle pedal doesn't work?

Where did you find 30 was the left tank. That sounds like a normal vehicle with left Bank issues.
The throttle cable is secured to the topside of the injection pump. It is adjustable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks