• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello everyone! New owner here!

Deplorable1

So I bought a deuce from my brother. Why not, right. He has done alot of work to it, rebuilt brakes, wheel bearings, serviced all the fluids, installed super singles, bought new cover for the bed w/ new bows and a cover for the trailer that comes with it (yes, I got a trailer with it too.). Also have an engine in a sealed storage container too, along with the old wheels and tires, brake parts out the wazoo, extra air pump, trailer air lines with gladhands, god knows what else that he hasn't shown me yet.

What I've started doing to it in the couple days I've had it:

Replaced outboard air tank because the old one had a pin hole leak from water and rust in the system. This has been fun so far because the new tank I ordered is a double chamber tank and I didn't know it when I ordered it. The old tank is a single chamber, so for those of you that are well versed at working on a deuce, I'm sure you know the fun I had figuring that $&!* out. ??? for some reason didn't have air at the cab or red gladhand or airpack???? Yep, sure enough, I chased the air line from the governor with a wrench breaking fittings loose (without air) all the way back to the tank, scratching my head cause the petcock would have air gushing out when I opened it, but no air on the same tank at the port for the lines going to the firewall, airpack and red gladhand. Talk about confused as heck for a minute. First I've heard of a double chamber tank, and I've been driving CDL commercial vehicles for 20 years.

What hasn't been done yet:

We have been chasing our tails for some time on the disappearing brake fluid, until I started reading around on this forum (many thanks all around).
What I have figured out is that I need to rebuild the airpack (small) because when I went to charge the air system from the red gladhand with the shop air compressor after installing the new air tank to check for leaks without having to start the truck. I heard massive amounts of air coming from the slobber tube along with brake fluid gushing out leaving a somewhat large puddle on the floor.
So that also tells me (from reading post here) that I need to re-route and disconnect the vent line at the fuel tank from the vent line at the airpack to slobber tube.

Any input or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all!
Many more things to come!!!
She's dirty and ugly, but here's some pics.

Attachments

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site, Hobby, friendships and events to come.
You have a good truck there, and it seems you are going about all right in "doing it up and getting ready for action" work.
Just a mention. Place your 'TOWN or DISTRICT' not just the country in your location, Then we all know where your actually at.

18operator

Welcome from Seville Ohio! Nice looking truck. Take your time and enjoy working on it. You're further along than most of us were when we got our trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks