• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery Terminal Sourcing

deleted user 89485

Steel Soldiers Supporter
9D7887E3-824D-4831-907E-D7FD56E19667.jpg

Does Anyone know where to source this connector. Grote has all of the other correct connectors except this one with the stud on the one end. Thanks in advance. I searched through a ton of the postings on batteries and could not find an answer.

deleted user 89485

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem with buying used cables is that they have been abused and worn out and most of the terminals have started to split so you can’t get a tight connection.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem with buying used cables is that they have been abused and worn out and most of the terminals have started to split so you can’t get a tight connection.
Maybe, maybe not. There is lots of beat to **** stuff out there, and lots of good used stuff too. On top of that, the military stuff tends to be pretty overkill/awesome, so trying to replicate it well can be difficult or expensive. For example, the battery cables are all cup soldered (solder pellet) really well, with very thick cable, etc. My point is that it's worth not dismissing it out of hand as not being an option.

With all these posts, it sounds like your truck really has a multitude of issues.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On page D-50 of TM 9-2320-365-34-1 (section D-23) there is a detailed breakdown of one of the battery cables. I just happened across it while looking for something else. I assume the others are in there too. (And I know you in other posts you have been concerned about not having the right A1 manuals, but most of the stuff isn't different.)

Guyfang

Staff member
When all else fails, look in the TM. Every cable, on almost all equipment is repairable, according to the milatary. So all parts are listed. Most -12 manuals have a section that explain how the cables can be fabricated. ABN what you need to do it.

deleted user 89485

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not dismiss using older cables if I could find a set in good condition. The problem is I have to get the truck back up as it is going to the CAT dealer at the end of the week. I did find the exact parts used to make these cables. Remy Battery carries all of the 2/0 terminal ends and the 2/0 wire and a company called Del City carries the solder pellets. $180 to make the four cables that I need. The truck was working great just sitting in the driveway at idle. It doesn’t have a lot of problems. The Test drive just shook some things loose I think. Once I make the battery cables the only issue is the engine and it is going to CAT to be worked on by an ex soldier who use to rebuild the C7 at the depot level for the Army. I am confident that they will get it up and running strong. After a ton of money I’m sure. There labor rate is $123 an hour. Once I get all the cable parts in I will post pics with part numbers.

Last edited:

fasttruck

The actual cable is assembled with eye terminations for either the ground or positive. The military uses the double nut battery connectors for, among other reasons, to facilitate removing the battery box as a unit in artic climes for storage in a heated area. This design negates the risk to disturbing the posts on the battery itself and damaging the battery. Connectors are supplied for both positive and negative posts and are so marked and THEY ARE NOT INTERCHANGABLE. Surplus dealers such as Memphis Equipment surely sell them. Or check -20P for NSNs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks