• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Well, finally registered her and drove her for my first time...

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
[I've been away a while... New house and moving and building up my new office and such. My apologies.]

6.2 liter, M1025. 1987

Engine runs smoooooth (for a Diesel). Starts super quick and smooth at 50 degrees F.

What a kick in the pants around town but SLOW to accelerate. I got a TESLA X P100D and a Tesla Roadster so I'm spoiled for speed. LOL

I really can't get the vehicle over 45, so I need to check the three speed tranny I guess. I'm considering upgrade to a 700R4 diesel truck tranny in the future. I don't want the electric shift M998 4 speed.)

Stops on a freakin' dime. E-brake needs adjustment BUT I bought tire chocks so I won't roll down-hill when parked. Lights and directional signals work! Woo Hoo!.

Gonna buy wheel balancers although she is not too bad. http://www.centramatic.com/wheel-balancer.rhtml?modelNumber=370-800

Gotta coat wheel studs in anti seize and oil as I live by the Atlantic Ocean on the beach.

LOUD, many rattles, and the looks when I drive by are fun.

Needs tie rod ends and ball joints so my mechanic (a close friend) bought some.

Power steering hoses leak. Not hard to remedy that.

I have a Red Dot A/C to install. No rush now that Fall is here. I have the evaporator for under the rear wheel well so I can avoid installing to the rear sponsons/hatch.

I have to replace door and rear hatch weather stripping, and I will fabricate custom turret cover to keep rain out.

I will have all fluids replaced this week... Engine, turbo hydro 400, pumpkins, brake fluid, rad fluid, as well as rotate tires and such. windshield leaks so I will fabricate some sort of flexible plastic upper edge cover. Driver's side windshield wiper is loose so I assume stripped, and I will pull and see if it needs replacement or if a few well aimed TIG Weld droplets and a round file will be able to cure.

I need to see if I am local parkway legal because no rear window/windshield :( . I don't wanna cut my sponsons and rear hatch. I have 2 rear doors with windows so I might be OK. I might just "install" tinted plastic "window" to the sheet steel without cutting holes, and instead run a rear camera.

Gonna upgrade to dual voltage alternator, (already got it in storage along with the wiring harness). Gonna swap in LED lights and such AFTER current lights fail ( I own a full set BUT I ain't fixin what ain't broke).

I gotta surprise regarding turbo to the 6.2, but ya'll need to stand by.

A company in Cali. says they routinely get the MV40 trannies with 6.2 liter engines to 75MPH... Anyone know how they do it without over-revving the engine and turning the diesel into a paperweight? My Pontiac Bonneville's were 6K lb and moved over 100MPH, but they were gasoline engines.

[PIC below posted previously]

HMMVV Turtleback.jpg

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
86 I don’t understand your comment. Turbo hydro 400 is MV40, at least according to my old GM technical manuals

Last edited:

tage

There's no way a stock turbo 400 is going to get to 75... Not enough gearing.

If you want to fix up your hmmwv right, there's a shop in California that will do a proper mil spec 4 speed conversion. Might have to sell one of your Telsa's though....

Action

[I've been away a while... New house and moving and building up my new office and such. My apologies.]

6.2 liter, M1025. 1987

1......I really can't get the vehicle over 45, so I need to check the three speed tranny I guess. I'm considering upgrade to a 700R4 diesel truck tranny in the future. I don't want the electric shift M998 4 speed.)

2.....Gonna buy wheel balancers although she is not too bad.

3.....Gotta coat wheel studs in anti seize and oil as I live by the Atlantic Ocean on the beach.

4.....LOUD, many rattles, and the looks when I drive by are fun.

5.....Needs tie rod ends and ball joints so my mechanic (a close friend) bought some.

6.....Power steering hoses leak. Not hard to remedy that.

7.....I have a Red Dot A/C to install. No rush now that Fall is here. I have the evaporator for under the rear wheel well so I can avoid installing to the rear sponsons/hatch.

8.....I have to replace door and rear hatch weather stripping, and I will fabricate custom turret cover to keep rain out.

9.....I will have all fluids replaced this week... Engine, turbo hydro 400, pumpkins, brake fluid, rad fluid, as well as rotate tires and such. windshield leaks so I will fabricate some sort of flexible plastic upper edge cover. Driver's side windshield wiper is loose so I assume stripped, and I will pull and see if it needs replacement or if a few well aimed TIG Weld droplets and a round file will be able to cure.

10.....I need to see if I am local parkway legal because no rear window/windshield :( . I don't wanna cut my sponsons and rear hatch. I have 2 rear doors with windows so I might be OK. I might just "install" tinted plastic "window" to the sheet steel without cutting holes, and instead run a rear camera.

11.....Gonna upgrade to dual voltage alternator, (already got it in storage along with the wiring harness).

12.....A company in Cali. says they routinely get the MV40 trannies with 6.2 liter engines to 75MPH... Anyone know how they do it without over-revving the engine and turning the diesel into a paperweight? My Pontiac Bonneville's were 6K lb and moved over 100MPH, but they were gasoline engines.

1.....Why not fix the problem before swapping the trans. You may be fine with it working properly.

2.....Have you had the tires balanced?

3.....I don't want to be around when your wheels fall off.

4.....Tighten the shackle bolts or remove the shackles.

5.....Why didn't you buy them?

6.....Don't use power steering fluid.

7.....You may want to put the evaporator inside the cabin if you want to cool down.

8.....LOL! It will leak. So will the fake window.

9.....Remove the glass and install it with new sealant. Don't put an adhesive bandage on it.

10.....A fake window? Utility vans and semis do not have rear view. This is a class 3 truck.

11.....Does the 200amp require a special harness?

12.....LOLOL.

JoeJrTheBarber

I have had my 1988 M998 6.5/TH400 to 73mph once (proven by GPS Speedo app on my phone) but was once, def. not a "crusing" speed.
Your best bet for ease of install and headaches is the 700 swap.
My 2cents..

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In reply to ACTION:

1.....Why not fix the problem before swapping the trans. You may be fine with it working properly.

Because I'm looking for overdrive.

2.....Have you had the tires balanced?

They are in the process today. Still, I will buy the autoballancing devices.

3.....I don't want to be around when your wheels fall off.

Your concern is misguided. In salt water areas this is a common AND SAFE practice.

4.....Tighten the shackle bolts or remove the shackles.

Agreed.

5.....Why didn't you buy them?

As mentioned, my close friend is a mechanic. He wanted to repay a favor and buy and install them for me so I really couldn't say no without insulting him.

6.....Don't use power steering fluid.

I was referring to replacing the hoses, not continually replacing fluid.

7.....You may want to put the evaporator inside the cabin if you want to cool down.

I miss-spoke.

8.....LOL! It will leak. So will the fake window.

No, it wont. A fake window requires no hole...just a dark plexiglass mounted onto the metal.

9.....Remove the glass and install it with new sealant. Don't put an adhesive bandage on it.

Leak is b/t top and frame, not window.

10.....A fake window? Utility vans and semis do not have rear view. This is a class 3 truck.

On parkways in NYS the liberal idiot politicians want vehicles with rear windows. Cannot argue with them. This truck is titled as a personal use vehicle SO I can use the parkway IF I have windows. (Look up "Belt Parkway in New York City to confirm if U R curious. Commercial vehicles ARE FORBIDDEN from driving the Belt Parkway. The overpasses were actually intentionally designed low by Jacob Riis, so tractor trailers will hit them.)

11.....Does the 200amp require a special harness?

Yes... and I already bought one.

12.....LOLOL

Yeah, but that is why I asked. Seemed a bit implausible.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE.

TOBASH

Last edited:

Action

There is a seal on the top of the w/s frame. It may be falling apart.
5581366 is under the c channel. Worth a look if you ever have the top off. Also the ones under the w/s frame.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why did you buy a slant back if you needed a rear window?

Might as well sell it and get the two door version, or 4 door that ain't a slant back...
I bought a slantback 'cause I want a slantback. Nothing more iconic than the slantback, except maybe a Conestoga wagon.

There are remedies for the parkway, as mentioned above.

Last edited:

Wire Fox

Congratulations man, great feeling to be driving it, right? You and I are at a similar speed handicap, but I'm already chasing down the issue in my truck and at least know which component isn't working correctly (TCM), just need to find the root cause before I go buying more parts.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations man, great feeling to be driving it, right? You and I are at a similar speed handicap, but I'm already chasing down the issue in my truck and at least know which component isn't working correctly (TCM), just need to find the root cause before I go buying more parts.
You're only 18 hours away. Drive her here and we can fix 'em both. LOL. You AND all the guys online are welcome to visit me in Queens, NY. (Just not all at once... Parking might be an issue. :cool:)

I gotta say the thing is a blast. Loud, oversized, and yet stops on a dime! Yeah, AWESOME to drive!

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the rolling madness, Doc! Congrads, have fun, and looking great. Now I know I am an exception but my rig with the 6.2 and stock 3 spd turbo 400 does 70 miles down the interstate all day long and it does not mind.:tank:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the rolling madness, Doc! Congrads, have fun, and looking great. Now I know I am an exception but my rig with the 6.2 and stock 3 spd turbo 400 does 70 miles down the interstate all day long and it does not mind.:tank:

Been a while since we spoke. I hope all is well.

I look forward to driving to the big easy to finally meet you some day soon!

I bet you have the taller differential gearing. Either that or you're running 45" tires. LOL

T

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been driving her and under 30 I'm ok but over thirty and on bumpy roads she is a bronking buck. I have yet to install the Centromatics.

Tie rod ends and ball joints all have play and need replacement. Not sure yet about shocks, but they seem ok when I apply weight and let off . ( ie.: She does not bounce).

Got me thinking, what were the H1 civilian suspension mods [if any] that allow these units to drive over 70?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks