• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I've got electrical questions (M1008)

CivilEGR

I've been having various troubles with my glow plug override button and dash lights. I'll try to go through these one by one.

First, the glow plug override. If I push and hold this after a few weeks of not running the truck, it rarely starts. I've learned that if I "pump" the button or hold it only for a few seconds at a time for maybe 10 times, then it starts right up. I will say that when I push the button, something "clicks" in the dash area. I tried to follow the wiring, and can't figure it out. It looks like the button is installed from the light green wire, then to a ground on the other side of it. Does this sound right?

pAIbZhD.jpg

Next, dash lights and trying to start the truck in general. Sometimes when I turn the key I get the buzzer before the lights go out, most times there's no buzzer. And as for the lights, this is what I get when I first turn the key.

nx7LFzf.jpg

And when it finally starts, this is what I get. Notice the voltmeter isn't working.

E0CIOJ7.jpg

Note, I did check all the fuses and they're all good. Otherwise, I don't know what I should be expecting if it all is right or not.

90Jimmy

That GEN 1 light should not stay on after you start the truck....thinking that's where I would start. Unplug and clean any connection you think is part of the charging system. TM saved me every time but you'll be out of luck with that glow pug system hack job...Nothing in the TM about that.

Had a similar issue and it was a dirty connection on the firewall.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The glow plug card bypass wiring is correct. That is actually a light blue wire, it controls the GP relay that you are hearing click. When that wire is grounded it closes the GP relay.

The GP card will automatically determine the proper amount of time the plugs need voltage based on a few factors. This time may be from a few seconds to 30 seconds depending on temp and voltage. You may want to hold the button for 15-25 seconds when the engine is cold to see if it starts easier.

It would be a good idea to check all of the glow plugs to see if they are good.

MarcusOReallyus

The glow plug card bypass wiring is correct. That is actually a light blue wire, it controls the GP relay that you are hearing click. When that wire is grounded it closes the GP relay.
Depends what you mean by, "correct". ;)

Whoever did that hack job should be spanked. You probably have a lousy connection in there. Can't help things at all.

I suggest you clean that up before you do any other troubleshooting. Take the tape off and trim up the ends of the wire properly then use a good quality butt connector. Then, if you still have problems, you know it's not that bogus connection.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks