• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Posible fuel leak or overflow?

What’s up guys hope everyone is ok after MICHAEL
Question I was moving my trailer mounted 803 ( or at least I was trying to )
I lifter the trailer from the front and kinda put it on my shoulder when the agonizing push was over I noticed diesel along rails on ge and on trailer is this normal ?
I did lift it high I’m 6 feet tall so the generator was not level by any means

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you see where the fuel was coming from? If you tilted it down towards the fuel cap it is possible to have some fuel leak from there.

In general you should not see fuel anywhere on a properly working machine.

Can you take some photos of what you are seeing?

It definitely did not come out of the fuel cap
I noticed it along the rail of the generator and the right hand side of the machine I guess you can say the side but the fuel pump is on this is a very low hours unit everything has been smooth so far

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is definitely not normal. The usual suspects are the fuel lines around the engine and the well nut at the bottom of the fuel tank.

You will want to carefully look around the engine compartment and see if there are any other areas in there that is wet from fuel.

Guyfang

Staff member
Pull the cover off the fuel tank compartment. Take a look see around. Also, fuel can get trapped in spaces, and pool there. When you lifted the trailer, it might have run out. This can happen a lot, when for insistence when the fuel filters get changed. Then start the set, look for leaks.

Zed254

I overfilled my tank once and ended up with a puddle dribbling out of the fuel tank compartment and into the motor area. If your fuel tank was full and you tilted it for more than a few seconds that may be your leak source.

On an 802 (more vibration than an 803) I had a leak on the valve attached to the bottom of the water separator / filter located just behind the Dead Crank Switch. That one scared me because I discovered it 30 minutes into a test run. All was good until I noticed fuel on the trailer.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull the cover off the fuel tank compartment. Take a look see around. Also, fuel can get trapped in spaces, and pool there. When you lifted the trailer, it might have run out. This can happen a lot, when for insistence when the fuel filters get changed. Then start the set, look for leaks.
Definitely pull the panel before anything else. Look at the wellnut where the return spout is positioned, as well as the well nut on the outside of the tank. You might want to get someone else there and try to articulate the trailer in the same way, with a set of eyes on the rear fuel system.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Edit, without running the set, let it sit at Prime + Run for a few minutes, and look over the entire fuel system to see spray leaks/seepage, etc.

Bmxenbrett

Your top well nut is prob leaking. Its at the upper right rear side if looking at the fuel fill. It can leak a bit if filled right to the top. Its not really a have to fix it now issue as long as you dont fill it to full.

If you havnt done the ultimate well nut mod i suggest you do both when/if you do the one.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

Possible leak locations....

Fuel return lines
well nuts ( 2 locations, top of fuel tank, and bottom of tank for fuel drain)
Fuel cap, gasket itself, open vented cap
Fuel fill collar, the rubber necking around the fuel fill collar gets eaten by JP-8, others have found a alternative in the forums here. This can be found when really topping off the fuel tank.8)

It is full to the top , I’m going to take off cover to verify
You guys are the best
Some people on this chat group have forgotten more than
the original manufacturers know
Thank you guys

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The most likely cause sounds like bad well nuts, or deterioration on the rubber collar that interfaces the tank with the metal filler neck slide assembly. Or its simply come loose and is not seated on the tank properly. You should know real quick once you take that tank sheet metal panel off.

Last edited:

Bmxenbrett

If you do find that its the top well nut. Make sure you replace the return line that is connected to it. It suck removing those pannels more than necessary.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New machines are a breeze, as most are captive nuts (especially the seam over the genhead... thankfully someone wised up that $2.25 in captive nut assemblies could save so much headache).

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought real men made their wives do it? Is this like the guy at work who I manage, who tells me real men dont drink almond milk? Pretty sure this same chap doesn't know which end of a screwdriver does the work...

Guyfang

Staff member
I didnt say I use only a wrench. My tool used was a Dewalt torque cordless driver. Well, until some scumbag ran off with it.

I am feeling a bit better boys! Look out!

The most likely cause sounds like bad well nuts, or deterioration on the rubber collar that interfaces the tank with the metal filler neck slide assembly. Or its simply come loose and is not seated on the tank properly. You should know real quick once you take that tank sheet metal panel off.
Turns out it was the well nut

Chainbreaker

Turns out it was the well nut
Thanks for coming back to post your finding the problem! It really helps others in the future when people come back and post what the solution was to their problem (it can help show a trend, which in this case the well nut is already known to be). Often times OP's seem to spend a lot of time in a thread picking brains on what the problem might be and never come back to close the loop and the thread is left dangling with no solution.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks