• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter issue next

319cssb

My starter doesnt always engage, as a matter of fact it engages once out of 3-4 times of free spinning. Is the solenoid something that would need to be addressed, replaces maybe?
The starter bolts and connections to the starter seem tight.
Is this a known issue?

Ronmar

So starter motor run without engagement of flywheel ring gear?

I would pull it and clean and inspect. This could be bad/contaminated(hard)grease, or no grease where it should be greased, or something else that is worn in the assembly.

snowtrac nome

Most likely that is the problem, mine has started doing the same thing I need to pull it and replace the bendix, while mine is out I intend to ck the flywheel 3116's will eat flywheel ring gears when they fail it usually is in 3 seprate spots.

319cssb

Most likely that is the problem, mine has started doing the same thing I need to pull it and replace the bendix, while mine is out I intend to ck the flywheel 3116's will eat flywheel ring gears when they fail it usually is in 3 seprate spots.
Are you saying that this happens when an 3116 engine fails and breaks the flywheel?
my truck doesnt do it all the time . It happens 1 out of 3 times, id say.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The starter (or other things) can break a tooth off the ring gear on the flexplate, and then if the starter is reengaged at or near that broken tooth there will be nothing for the starter to grab on to. It's not super-common, but it can happen, especially if something (e.g. a broken part) gets inside the bellhousing.

Even though your issues could be related to this, it's not the most likely of causes. It's far more likely the solenoid in the starter that pushes the spur gear out (to engage the ring gear on the flex plate) is bad, or the clutch. More likely that it's the starter, in other words, so check there first. (But while you have it off, you can see in to the ring gear in the bellhousing fairly well, so might as well inspect that too.)

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
when the starter solenoid, the one on the starter, is powered it first pulls the drive into the flywheel. then just as it has done that it closes contacts that energize the starter motor. if the drive gear is damaged it may make a very harsh noise which is very damaging to the flywheel. or the one way clutch in the drive may be bad so it no longer drives reliably so all you hear is the starter spinning. you have several options but taking the starter off and inspecting it and the flywheel teeth is the beginning of what you are in store for. in the end it is really a simple repair no matter what the issue is.

319cssb

I am going to check the flywheel bolts and in the process check the teeth of the flexplate.
Not too enthusiastic about removing the starter though

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Its not too bad with 2 people. Its just heavy. One person above it with a strap to lower it down to the person below works well. Lots of wires take pics mark the wires before removal.

319cssb

Its not too bad with 2 people. Its just heavy. One person above it with a strap to lower it down to the person below works well. Lots of wires take pics mark the wires before removal.
Thats what i mean, its heavy and im usually an army of one.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A sling around the starter, a bundle of bungee cords, suspend from engine hoist. Tension the bungee to approximately handle the weight then lift or push down to move starter around. Worked for me.

319cssb

A sling around the starter, a bundle of bungee cords, suspend from engine hoist. Tension the bungee to approximately handle the weight then lift or push down to move starter around. Worked for me.
That's interesting. I envisioned myself doing something like this when I replied with my army of one comment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks