• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire shops that will install run flats on 395's / Hutchinson split rim

pinmode

Hi all - first post! I'm the owner of an M1083 expedition truck as of a few months ago. It's time for new tires, and I want to find a way to keep the run flats installed. The local heavy tire shops here in Charleston, SC will not deal with run flats. The two most likely candidates (one commercial, one heavy machinery) are saying they can't or won't work with them. I see that there are tips on how to remove/install the run flats on SS, but DIY isn't an option for me.

Does anyone know a shop in the southeast that might tackle a tire change with run flat install?

_DSC2230.jpg2018-08-04-DSC_5671.jpg

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have found that the Co-op farm stores are willing to work on big tires. They handle huge tractor tires, even those with water in them, and might work on run flats. You might have to talk to the store manager, or tire shop guy, and work out a price for 'weird' work since they probably have not seen a run-flat before.

I know my local farmers co-op store just got a huge tire-working machine that breaks down a big tire while it is standing vertical so the tire does not have to be picked up.

However, if you are wanting a one piece run-flat moved from one tire to another, well, good luck.

Where in Tennessee, if you are looking for local information?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 2 cents, if you are planning expeditions to the middle of nowhere, it's time you learned to DIY. Super easy to do, just need a Milwaukee Fuel impact or old school pneumatic and a tire hammer.

pinmode

However, if you are wanting a one piece run-flat moved from one tire to another, well, good luck.

Where in Tennessee, if you are looking for local information?
Thanks for your response. Indeed, I was thinking have the run flats removed from the current worn tires and installed on the new tires. I'm gathering that is a tall order.

I'm all over the map. Must've been at my sister's in TN when I registered. I'm in Charleston, SC at the moment (with the truck).

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
There are some composite bolt together runflats that are easy to install buy them on Ebay from feltz tire for about 45$ each. Alot easier than rubber ones.

pinmode

Are you sure you even have run flats... I bet you don't Just a bead locker.
No, I'm not sure. This photo has been described to me as a steel run flat (which would be a lot different from all the examples I've seen on YouTube). What do you see?

IMG_0454.jpg

pinmode

coachgeo & simp5782 - thanks! I think the tire shops assume I have the one piece rubber type when I say "run flat" while it turns out I have the type that disassembles -

Last edited by a moderator:

pontiac62

Going by the picture of the Pinmodes truck looks like he’s the new owner of TwoIfOverland GXV truck. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Going thru their blog around June 23 2017 they had a flat tire. In the write up they mentioned having run flats in the tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man of few words

M1081 LVAD

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How would you remove and install a run flat on 46" tires with those tools?

There must be a shop out there that has a machine like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoWC-Qyd4kA

... though my tires are bigger.
This video got me all exited thinking I could use a porta-power and stretch some run flats into my 14’s for the front of my truck. After doing some measuring... not so muchIMG_5608.jpgIMG_5610.jpg

coachgeo

Don’t see anything about swapping run-flats?
??? swapping a R.Flat from one tire to another? swapping from one type R.Flat to another type?? If your speaking from one tire to another..... gotta agree. Good bit out there on removal.... not much on install.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was commenting on Aleighs link, all I saw was tire change info, not runflat, I may have missed it though?

aleigh

I remove the runflat in the same general method as removing the rim half. You get a strap around it and just pull it out with the tire strapped down. I think you can see this general approach in youtube videos too, I've seen guys use a wrecker crane to do the same thing. To go in they corkscrew in, but to be honest, I don't re-install them. I came down on this issue as them not being worth the trouble. All the tire failures I've had, the tire sidewall explodes and the tire is useless, runflat or not. Just personal opinion.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I remove the runflat in the same general method as removing the rim half. You get a strap around it and just pull it out with the tire strapped down. I think you can see this general approach in youtube videos too, I've seen guys use a wrecker crane to do the same thing. To go in they corkscrew in, but to be honest, I don't re-install them. I came down on this issue as them not being worth the trouble. All the tire failures I've had, the tire sidewall explodes and the tire is useless, runflat or not. Just personal opinion.

Compared to a blowout at 60mph on a steer tire with a runflat vs without is night and day. Least you keep some control and even the blowout isn't as extreme. You only drop about 4 inches with a runflat compared to about 10 inches without one. The composite runflats go in just as easy as the bolt band beadlock inserts. They are getting to be more common now as well on the surplus market.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks