• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire shops that will install run flats on 395's / Hutchinson split rim

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ok so I googled around and I see that there are different kinds of run flats. There are the kind that seem to be one piece and I can see how you'd need some kind of crazy setup to get that in. And there are kinds that are split. I found a picture of the style I am linking here - mine were black, R20 sized, and used a bolt to draw together the halves. Note this picture is just SIMILAR.

View attachment 747576
Yep, that would cause the confusion. The one-piece solid rubber runflats are the most common, and very labor intensive. I haven't seen a 2-piece similar to what you're showing for FMTV tires, but I can't claim I've seen everything that's out there. There are 3-piece runflats available that seem to be more common, though they might actually come from MRAPs (might have something to do with some of the aluminum rims MRAPs have that don't break down as far as the steel rims, so the runflats need to come apart easier?). They can be bought pretty cheap (under $50/ea + shipping).

HUTCHINSON THREE PIECE 3PC MRAP CRF COMPOSITE RUNFLAT 395-85 R20 BEADLOCK INSERT - 1.jpg

My whole discussion was assuming that people were asking about how to deal with the common 1-piece runflats. I assumed that if they opened up their tire and saw 2pc or 3pc bolt-together variants, that would be a no-brainer on how to get it apart and out, and they wouldn't be posting here about it. Those 1pc runflats are terrible to deal with.

Last edited:

aleigh

When I said it's worth learning how to do in the field, I meant the tire change in general. That may not be what OP asked, but that is what I meant. And I do think it's reasonable to know how to do it if only to tell the tire guy or the roadside guy how to do it later. I did not mean to imply that OP should learn to change single-piece runflat donuts at the side of the road with a tree branch and a pack of chewing gum. I've just actually had a bunch of flats because I had a bad lot of tires.

The only R20 run flat I've ever seen is the kind I described, which could be installed without terrible fuss. I see now - I've learned thanks to this thread - that the other, apparently more common kind, is single piece and cannot be installed in the way mine could. I think there's just a misunderstanding here because you were thinking about the one-piece kind and yes with that concept, nothing I said made sense. If you consider that my experience was with this other kind, then I feel like what I said did make sense. It was certainly true to my own experience. If you want to call BS and say there is no such thing as a split R20 runflat, in all of the world, okay, and that for some reason I am just making it all up, okay.

Personally, now I just wonder where those wheels actually came from, if it was an MRAP or something else.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The 3 piece run flats come in the aluminum Hutchinson type wheel that is being retrofitted to fit the M35s with an adapter plate. They also come in some in some of the LMTV wheels that have the large bore valve stems and 395 XZLs. Those are the most common. They are starting to throw more of the 3 piece composite ones away due to overstock and minor defects. Or in alot of their cases a tire that is shredded and has a wheel and they dont want to screw with it so they toss the whole thing to the scrap contract.

1 piece runflats are simple to install. You need just the compression unit or a piece of equipment like a backhoe, excavator or skid steer with teeth on their bucket. Place a ratchet strap under the runflat. Compress the runflat down with the equipment and put your rachet strap to it and cinch it down. Or use the compression tool. When installing you need two pieces of 1/2" steel bar about 4 inches wide and 24 inches long. Affix two ratchet straps to them and to two stationary vehicles or trees and slide the steel bars in each side, On one side you want it on the top side of the bead on the other the bar can be center. and pull back on one truck to raise the tire into the air. Use the ratchet straps to get some more spread out of the tire. and slide your compressed runflat in and spin it in. Little labor intensive but with equipment it makes it easy.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When installing you need two pieces of 1/2" steel bar about 4 inches wide and 24 inches long. Affix two ratchet straps to them and to two stationary vehicles or trees and slide the steel bars in each side, On one side you want it on the top side of the bead on the other the bar can be center. and pull back on one truck to raise the tire into the air. Use the ratchet straps to get some more spread out of the tire. and slide your compressed runflat in and spin it in.
I read this a few times, but I can't picture it. Do you happen to have a picture of someone doing it, or a drawing?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I read this a few times, but I can't picture it. Do you happen to have a picture of someone doing it, or a drawing?

Same principle as using this machine you are spreading the tire with the steel bars under the lips and using the trucks and ratchet straps.

You can also use 2 good crowbars of the right size to slide inside the tire to hook onto to spread them as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoWC-Qyd4kA

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks