• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy in NY

DAC112UDM

Ok, first of all...I dont have a deuce. Wish I did (and maybe soon I will), but for now I have to settle for the half dozen cars I have :D

The reason Im here is that the deuce and a half is the closest to my next toy. It a 1993 DAC 112UDM city bus...from Romania

(Long story how an Air Force vet ends up wanting one of these...let alone bringing it).

Now, the bus may be from 93, but its the exact same thing they were making back in 79 from the prototype in 77, which was a reskined model made under license from MAN, with it's blueprints from...the mid 60s :shock:

This means, I have a flat straight 6 with the most random oil tubes going here and there. Air over hydraulic brakes. The only transistors are in the voltage regulator. 20 inch tubed split ring wheels with enemy tires (ie Russian lol) and some other really...really weird setups.

That brings me here. The closest thing, that has in fact a large enough group of hobbyists where I can get a few answers, is SS. So, Im hoping you guys wont mind a few questions here and there. I am a former aircraft mechanic (among many other things), bus driver, bus mechanic, and a classic car collector that has restored and rebuilt more than a few cars from scratch.

But there are things that I may need help on (no, not insurance lol, or titling lol.). Things like why here everyone is terrified of split rims, but when I was there, they were doing things I wouldnt do with normal wheels...from a bike. Yet, nobody there dies.

I will ask specifics in the right places, so until then, just saying hi.
Mik

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard from Nevada. Hopefully, Robo McDuff or the Miggins Bros. may be able to help you with some of your bus questions. They are from the Czech Republic and Germany. They are knowledgeable and may have some familiarity with your vehicle.

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site. That bus will be handy for ferrying people at events..to look at your truck amongst the other military stuff at an all types event.,( Just kidding)When you get it.(the Deuce).

Some folk have a thing about buses and trains. One of our gang has 'this bus' just come over from the States.

Attachments

fasttruck

If the rims on your bus are as those used on M37s, M35s, M8o9s etc they are not completely lethal if handled right. The problem is when reassembled and inflated the lock ring may separate from the rim and do damage to the tire mechanic. Several procedures are available to control this: 1. inflate tire in a tire cage. 2. Use a clip on chuck on a 10' hose to inflate the tire so you don't have to stand over or near it. 3. Wrap a 3/8" chain with a grab hook LOOSLY through the vent holes in the rim to trap the lock ring if no cage is available. Loose so you can get it apart after the tire is inflated. Lastly makTIRE SHOP 5.29.2010.jpge sure the flange on the lock ring and the rim is free of dirt and rust so the lock ring will seat when you inflate the tire. In US practice the bead of the tire and the lock ring have opposing tapers so when the tire inflates it pushes the lock ring into the rim. A variety of hand tools (hammers, pick bars, spades) are available to dismount the tires from the rims.

fasttruck

Picture in post 8 shows inflating a tire with a clip on chuck. Also visible are a 24v 3/4" impact wrench and a can of "never seize" to put on the lug nuts if there is any hope of getting them off again in this lifetime.

NormB

Welcome to the site. That bus will be handy for ferrying people at events..to look at your truck amongst the other military stuff at an all types event.,( Just kidding)When you get it.(the Deuce).
Some folk have a thing about buses and trains. One of our gang has 'this bus' just come over from the States.

Only thing I’ve never seen at a military vehicle or airshow event is a “cattle car” from boot/basic training.

You’d figure SOMEONE would have scavenged, repaired, found a use for one of those by now.

If nothing else, you could also use it for picking up all the guys with FORDs (Found On Road Dead) en route to the next MV gathering.:driver:

Welcome aboard. Thanks for sharing.

NB

DAC112UDM

Thanks for all the welcomes.

I will try to answer some of the questions, but I didnt expect quite so many replies.

Yes, my bus has the same type of wheel as the deuce. In fact, for a brief moment I thought they were identical until I remembered that mine has 335mm diameter for the lugs, ie the large hub diameter (for planetary reduction gears in the hubs). I shouldnt have to worry too much about the tires, but Im still curious about the deflating prior to dismount (maybe I missed it here).

I already saw one member with Tatras. Here in the US. Wow. I didnt expect that, although mine is more rare hehe...cant get more rare than being the only one, right?

I will post more in time, Im sure. Right now, she's in the English Channel. Most likely just left the UK heading for open waters in the Atlantic. Here's to smooth sailing.

DAC112UDM

Thanks again for the welcome, and the info (which I just re-read).

I was absent , but I dont plan on being one of the one post newbies. I had some medical issues courtesy of the VA, as well as truoble registering the bus (Im at the getting historic plates part at least...) plus a massive issue with a fuel tank that decides to parajump from the bus! Finally got it back in and snug with 1/8th in straps (yes, 1/8th, it was all I could find at 8 ft long!). She runs, and took her out a few times, and even won a trophy. Did I say win, I mean EARNED since it was a lot of work.

Of course, she blew a coolant hose...again, but at least it was in my driveway. Most likely since she sat for a few, while idling, and not getting enough airflow. It wasnt a lot of cooland, maybe a few gallons, but eh...She'll be fine, as long as I get her registered.

I still havent given up on a deuce, but I had to buy a house, which was a big thing. Now I get to be bent over a barrel for taxes!

Anyway. I will read up to see about the reg issues, and historic plates and whatnot. I do have my eye on a military truck, similar to the Tatra 814 but built by the same manufacturer as my bus, ie a DAC! Although I have to look to see if the member with the Tatras still has the one for sale. (God help me where I will put that one when I have 8 cars, two buses and more coming!)

Here are some pics, with the old gal at the car show, (and one with the trophy) and one with those wheels. Pardon the sloppy paint. I was in a rush, and spinal cord damage makes your hands shake a tad.

, IMG_0494.jpgIMG_0488.jpgIMG_0402.jpg

PS. I also have a youtube and bitchute channel called DAC Dynasty. I tried not to be political, but with the censorship stuff...eh. I just kept it restricted to things related to the hobby. So if you want to give me a gander, welcome! I wont post the link, but just seraching on either platform will give you the vids. I recommend Ep19 or Ep21 both parts. Theyre the car show stuff.

So, Im back! And Olivia (the bus, in honor of one of the engineers that worked on designing her, also my grand father) are glad!

Al DACMan

DAC112UDM

And of course, she blew a hose...Its the heater core (again) so Im hoping it wont be an issue. It wont even stop me from a short drive here and there once the cold comes in, since the engine runs very cool as it is. Just a weak Romanian made hose...

Never a dull moment, or a moment where Im not covered in grease or stinking of diesel. (its my new cologne lol)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What part of NY are you in?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks