• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Belgian F-16 Destroyed: "Accidental" Cannon-fire 2018-10-14

Gunzy

The article shows the weapons fire came from an aircraft in a maintenance hanger. Can some one explain why it was armed?

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mechanics were doing maintenance on a parked F-16 when one by accident hit the wrong button. The other F-16 was hit and exploded, a second F-16 was damaged as well. Two mechanics were taken for observation due to hearing problems as result of the explosion.

1) We don't need freedom of information, our newspapers and journalists are quick enough to get the news out before the authorities even realize there is something to hide.

2) Did I already told you that the Netherlands managed to get rid of that part of the country that is now Belgium in the early 1800s? We are trying to get rid of other parts of southern Netherlands (specifically Limburg :cookoo: ) as well, but the Allied leaders in 1918-1919 refused to give it to Belgium, and since then even the Belgians don't want it anymore. :jumpin:

dutch smiley_resize.jpg

netherland-flag.gif

Edit: did not realize that the link in the original post included the same pic and info as my link. I got this from Dutch newspapers, the OPs linked article also uses Dutch images.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
The article shows the weapons fire came from an aircraft in a maintenance hanger. Can some one explain why it was armed?
Because someone didn't follow regulations and policy's. It happens. Not supposed to, but it happens. Regulations are there for a reason. Most training accidents that cost someone their lives, happen so. Thinking about it, I can not think of one time where someone was hurt or killed, that the root cause wasn't for this reason. I helped investigate two such incidents, not in my unit, and both had numerous violations. Stupid, lazy, carelessness. Anther incident happened almost before my eyes. The guy paid with his life, because he was too lazy to follow SOP, (Standing Operating Procedures). Stupid.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mechanics were doing maintenance on a parked F-16 when one by accident hit the wrong button. The other F-16 was hit and exploded, a second F-16 was damaged as well. Two mechanics were taken for observation due to hearing problems as result of the explosion.

1) We don't need freedom of information, our newspapers and journalists are quick enough to get the news out before the authorities even realize there is something to hide.

2) Did I already told you that the Netherlands managed to get rid of that part of the country that is now Belgium in the early 1800s? We are trying to get rid of other parts of southern Netherlands (specifically Limburg :cookoo: ) as well, but the Allied leaders in 1918-1919 refused to give it to Belgium, and since then even the Belgians don't want it anymore. :jumpin:

View attachment 745253

View attachment 745254

Edit: did not realize that the link in the original post included the same pic and info as my link. I got this from Dutch newspapers, the OPs linked article also uses Dutch images.
WOW - While most countries seem to want to expand and conquer, your #2 Facts show some wisdom and "downsizing" improvement strategies!

Thanks for the history lesson.

dmetalmiki

hmm..We can think of a few countries that should be 'given up!'..sold..just given away......., Or..Just plain LEFT ALONE!, (To sort out their own problems).

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is not for nothing that the financial center on Manhattan is where it is; this is :
Nieuw Haarlem or New Harlem in English is now Harlem,
Maritius River (after Maurits of Orange) is now the Hudson River
Fort Oranje is now Albany, and we can go on quite long.

The Dutch had quite a large area of the East Coast in the 1600s. We gave up - traded Manhattan with the English under condition that they would recognize our colonies in the Caribbeans and especially Suriname. The Dutch Caribbean islands are still Dutch. Suriname we gave independence in 1977, probably also because the price of aluminum, which we mined there, was very low and the mines almost exhausted.

On the other hand, the English had a lot of problems with their US properties and within a century had lost all of them.

Guyfang

Staff member
I think planes on the ground without pilot do not count as "kill"
You would be wrong there. In the Air Force, a kill is a kill. All of the American "Aces" of WW2, in Europe, all inflated their scores, by strafing airfields and claiming kills. Am currently reading "Masters of the Air", great book about the air war of WW2, by Donald Miller. Its an eye opener.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks