• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 steering parts

rickdavis81

I’m needing to do a steering box and ball joints on a new to me m1009. Was figuring I would do tie rod ends too. Looks like I can use moog parts for the same year suburban on the tie rod ends because they don’t seem to match for a civilian blazer. Will the ball joints be the same for a civilian blazer? And has anyone used a lares reman steering box?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you search for parts search for 1984 k5 with 6.2 diesel . The part numbers in the parts TM are GM part number so they are easy to cross to other brand parts.

cucvrus

All 1984-1991 K5/K10 front end chassis parts are the same. They all have a cooperate 10 bolt front axle. Nothing special/military about them. Ball joints are a breeze with a C clamp/press. Greasable ones are the norm. But the upper ball joint will be able to be greased once and then capped. If you want to grease it again you will need to remove the drive axle install the zerk. But the original ball joints had no grease fittings and lasted 30 years. If you are going to do right change all the links and ball joints. Don't forget the sway bar & leaf spring bushings. Bushings in the frame at the front shackles are definitely shot. Many have the steel bracket egg shaped. I changed a few of them already also. Good Luck. Take your time and do it right the first time.

rickdavis81

I know how to do the work. I was an ase cert master tech for several years till I found I can make a lot better money working on other stuff lol. When I look up the parts for a k5 they show short ends for the left and right tie rods. Mine has one long tie rod with an adjusting sleeve and one short tie rod end. The suburban parts appear to be a match unlike the k5 civilian parts

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know how to do the work. I was an ase cert master tech for several years till I found I can make a lot better money working on other stuff lol. When I look up the parts for a k5 they show short ends for the left and right tie rods. Mine has one long tie rod with an adjusting sleeve and one short tie rod end. The suburban parts appear to be a match unlike the k5 civilian parts
Cross the part numbers from these.

TM9-2320-289-20P.pdf
TM9-2320-289-20P Unit maintenance and depot maintenance parts and special tool lists for CUCV.
TM9-2320-289-34p.pdf
TM9-2320-289-34P Direct support and general support maintenance repair parts and special tools lists.

[h=1]TM's for the CUCV[/h]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks