• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New mep-803a control panel wiring problem?

bosko

Hi, I got a couple of mep-803a generators from auction. I was looking one of them over in the control box and it looks like someone was previously tracing some wires. Can anyone give me an idea of what they were looking trouble shooting? I’ll post a pic of wires they tagged.

I have not started them yet, I’m waiting on parts to do quad winding fuse. The auction site did run the generators before I picked them up.

They both have only a couple hundred hours on them. They don’t have tier 2 tags on them. They have a mfg date of 2001.

Attachments

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Looks to me like they were trying to figure out why the Freq. meter isn't working. Don't assume anything. You are making a problem, that doesn't exist, until you see it. Just get the Quad MWO on, and fire them up.

Looks like critters were in the set. So I will amend my above statement. Take off the top cover and see if the critters moved in to the S8 apartment, before running it.

Last edited:

jamawieb

Most of the time they do that to keep track of the wires. Guy is right, connected to the frequency transducer so that would be the frequency meter. The gauge itself fails before the transducer on the 800 series.

bosko

Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to see if that was a sign of something else to check before i crank them up for my first time.

Quad fuse and mwo are done. Changed oil and filters, drained old fuel, Scrubbed fuel tanks, installed new well nuts. Going to replace coolant, belt and batteries next.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, you need to take the top off to make sure there are no abandoned nests behind the S8 panel wall (mice LOVE to nest up in here), and then undertake pest mitigation efforts to not allow them to return. I agree that there is sign of pests in one of the shots you took.

bosko

7F37CE2F-6580-4035-B8A2-1C217012B199.jpg06649E07-4109-4426-A394-732AF833578F.jpg2FBEDAA0-AFC7-4CE1-94F9-19BE78C2ABD5.jpg03C00CF9-32B3-488E-9FB6-6E44D98DFE18.jpgTook the top panel off to get behind S8 and do some inspecting and cleaning. Is so much easier to work with
the top off. Need to order lots more SS hardware.

Last edited:

NormB

May be a trick of the light, but the transducer (center) looks newer to my eye.Maybe it was taken out, cleaned or just wiped off, tested, replaced, or it WAS replaced, which is why the lines were tagged, to ensure they went back in the right spot.Can you read what was written on them?

NormB

Never, ever, tag leads. Always look at the schematic. If someone else wired it wrong, you only repeat the mistake.
With most things at least color coded if not already numbered, you're right, and it's always good to check someone else's work just to be safe.What I've learned to do with electric/electronic projects is take photos before I start so I'll know how to reassemble.I've rebuilt several guitar amplifiers and replaced control boards in HVAC systems this way. As a roadie I always tagged audio gear for ease of setup at the next gig, so it works in some cases.NB

goat4hooves

I was in your situation a year ago. Some tags wires were tagged incorrectly. Much of the generator was wiredincorrectly. Ended up pinning out each circuit. Like Guyfang said, I would not trust themuntil verified. Get the wiring diagrams out and verify they are routed to the rightlocation. the will pay huge dividendsdown the road.

The condition of my 802 caused me to become very familiar with the manuals and generator. The plusside that I now have a great degree of confidence in the generator.

Good luck getting them up and running!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks