• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Generator/HVAC Trailer Identification

shwagon

Trying to identify, or get a general search term, for this trailer (or something similar that would have the same generator on it). I'm having a running issue and searching if it's a possible common issue or trying to get more information on where to start.

Two Identifiers on the Generator:
  • Applied Companies Model# TM-52480-23
  • Brand: Hanco
Part Number: 2359807
FSCM: 1SAF5
Model: 20RFH33DWLP
Kw: 20k

But in searching these, not much returns. It looks like most units on here are referenced by their trailer model #. Can anyone point me in the right direction as far popular trailers or equipment that may be equipped with this same generator?

IMG_1387.jpgIMG_1386.jpgIMG_1379.jpgIMG_1377.jpg

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Its an applied hvac trailer. TMs are in the generator section. Whats not working on it? Did you replace the fuel filters. There is a catch screen in the lift pump and the pumps go bad also.

shwagon

Looking further into it, looks like I'm looking for the "MEP" number (MEP-XXX).

I'm having the following symptom:

Turn "START/STOP SWITCH" to "Start" - Engine turns over and starts to run normally
After the engine starts, turn "START/STOP SWITCH" "Run" - engine dies.

The unit has been running great; this issue just popped up out of nowhere (nothing changed or performed to the unit).

I have all TM for the unit, now trying to determine this weird symptom.
Capture.JPG

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not know that generator specifically but you might check the low oil pressure circuit. Typically when a start is underway the low-oil shutdown is bypassed. When you get out of 'start' the unit sees "apparent" low oil pressure and shuts down. Or you might have low oil pressure.

shwagon

I do not know that generator specifically but you might check the low oil pressure circuit. Typically when a start is underway the low-oil shutdown is bypassed. When you get out of 'start' the unit sees "apparent" low oil pressure and shuts down. Or you might have low oil pressure.
I was literally just reading the same thing. Truth be told, I'm "diagnosing over the phone", my dad is with the generator, and I'm at work.

He just told me that the "Gen Fault Lamp" is illuminated....

Notes in the diagram indicate that the Safety Relay is bypassed in the "Start Position". I have included a simplified diagram of the circuit, looks like the only two sensors that control the safety relay/fault lamp circuit are the Oil Pressure and Water Temp sensors, correct?

Capture.JPG

shwagon

Well... By time I got to the unit last night, my dad had it running. Earlier in the day, he had put 5gal of fuel in it, and the symptom persisted. I had him add five more gallons more (just to cover all bases), and the unit fired right up.

Fuel gauge never dropped below 3/4 tank, and the system did not require a bleed. I don't know if it's a coincidence/false flag, guess I'll pull the sending unit and inspect operation and check for any leaks in the pickup tube. I'll let you guys know if any other issues are found.

Thanks to all that chimed in!

***Admin, feel free to move this thread to the "Auxilary Equipment" sub-fourm, didn't mean for this thread to take off***

Guyfang

Staff member
I was literally just reading the same thing. Truth be told, I'm "diagnosing over the phone", my dad is with the generator, and I'm at work.

He just told me that the "Gen Fault Lamp" is illuminated....

Notes in the diagram indicate that the Safety Relay is bypassed in the "Start Position". I have included a simplified diagram of the circuit, looks like the only two sensors that control the safety relay/fault lamp circuit are the Oil Pressure and Water Temp sensors, correct?

View attachment 745252
For future reference. All MIL-Standerd gen sets have a function, that bypasses almost all the safety functions on start up. The main one that gives this symptom, is LOP, (Low Oil Press.) Thats why 98G gave you that hint. ALL mil-standered gen sets have this "problem" of gen sets dropping off, when the S1, (start switch) is let go of too soon. When this fault happens, I tend to hold up the S1, get the set to start, and then flip up the S7, (emergency bypass switch) and then let go of S1. the set should continue to run, and the fault indicator should light up and tell you where the problem is. Now, I can not remember if these "DRASH" type gen sets have a fault indicator or not. Still, no matter. If it has a emergency bypass switch, you still can turn it on AFTER the set starts. If it continues to run on bypass, and you turn off bypass and it drops out again, then its a safety function. Easy to troubleshoot. Simply jump around each safety function, one at a time. NO gen set will let you start when the emergency bypass is turn on, before the set starts. Could the problem have been "low" fuel? Find it hard to believe. Normally the fuel safety system works like this. You have a float switch in the tank. It has two sets of contacts. One set tells the AUX fuel pump to replenish the tank when the tank is low, and you are in the RUN/AUX S1 position. The other set of contacts shut the engine down, when the float switch signals a LOW fuel situation. That keeps the fuel system from running dry. Most systems will NOT let you even crank the engine over, when the set is signaling "Low Fuel".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks