• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for Manufacturer Info

wixavier8

Hey everyone. Just bought my first "deuce". Looking to decode the VIN. There is no data plate, so I'm going off the number on the frame and the registration number on the passenger door( I understand that might be incorrect info).
Anyway, the number I got off the frame is:
Based off my research with that(if it's correct) it's coming up as a m342a2 dump truck.
The registration number is:
04H09171

If anyone can help me out, it'd be much appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Welcome to the site. Here's a link to some helpful info:
http://www.militarytrader.com/military-vehicles/dating-deuce-g-742-2-12-ton-cargo-truck-production
I think you may be one digit short on the serial number. 05 is the lot number, 23 indicates it's an m342a2 dump truck.
From the article it should be part of a 1970 contract but I couldn't tell you which of the 3 possible choices was the manufacturer.

I'd like to see some pics of your truck if you're able to post them. I have a 2.5 ton dump truck as well but it's the shorter version.

wixavier8

I'm not quite sure how to post a picture on here. But I can email a few. The weird thing about this truck is it does not have a bed on it. Somewhere down the line, it was removed. Also from what I can tell, it doesn't have any of the hydraulics or controls for a dump bed. However, has the "L" brackets that a bed attaches to and you can tell by looking at the frame that it seems a flat cargo bed was attached. Not quite sure what's going on, but tomorrow when I can get some sandpaper, will be able to better get a good reading on the number. Thanks!

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
All of the hydraulics would go with the subframe of the bed when it's removed. I'd bet either the bed got trashed or a previous owner moved it over to an m35a2 chassis. Some other clues that it's an m342a2 would be the air tanks will be outside the frame on the driver's side, the frame will be reinforced with fish plates riveted on from behind the cab to the axle, and the rear crossmember with the pintle hook will be sitting further forward than the end of the frame rails.

wixavier8

Well, based off what you said to look for, I do NOT have a dump. However, I swear my designation is 0523. Tomorrow I'll really get after it with some sandpaper and try to get a concise answer.

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site, hobby, friendships (Help)..and events to come.
Quite a few tippers are sold off and the tipping gear and hydraulics removed for another project. (Which is a pity).
Experiment posting pictures, you won't blow anything up!.
Keep us up tp date with your 'get it back to something good' and original project. Good luck.
Suggestion.
Reply.."thank you" here's a picture (or 10!).
'click on advanced'.
click on "Manage attachments".
click on "add files"
click on "browse"
Go find yer' picture. and 'double click it'.
click "upload" when it appears in the box.
click "done"
click "submit reply"

P.S.Should be good. IF you have your pictures set around 700x800 1000x700 JPG. or so equates to about 460-790 kb.(size it in your 'photo manager'.
TEN' Shun! "march to it".
Report when done. (the ever so dreaded LOL).

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool, so you have a 1971 AM General M35A2 without winch. Grab a new main data plate from one of the various vendors and stamp the frame number on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks