• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slave Cable Solar Panel?

Jedidiah

Has anyone attempted to rig up a solar panel setup that employs the slave cable port on the front of their CUCV?

I think it would be pretty simple, two 12V panels in series that lead to a MPPT solar controller followed by a slave cable into the truck.

I'm low on cash, but I'm thinking about attempting to build a setup like this.

papakb

Your in a dangerous area there unless you know what your doing. Most solar panels by themselves are regulated by the batteries unless you have a charge controller inline with them. Either a PWM or MPPT controller would work fine with the MPPTs being a little more efficient. Your typical off the shelf Auto Zone panel will probably put out 18 volts open circuit so be careful, two of them could end up sending 36 volts into your batteries. The Solargizers that you see offered and not charging panels. They're battery maintainers which means they pulse the batteries with high voltage to prevent formation of zinc tendrils inside the batteries that can short them out. This is a problem for vehicles that sit fort long periods of time like so many military vehicles do.

Last edited:

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Find a 24-volt solar charge controller on the Brazilian jungle website and you're set. The Green ones on Amazon are about $25 - 35. I bought one for my garden to power my hydroponic water pumps and garden shed lights. Works fine. Docs say it supports 24. Worst case is it blows your solar charge controller. You might try test wiring direct first - with your truck circuit unplugged just to see. Hate to mess up your ECU huh? Also a just in case: Got the grounding kit? LOL

Note: this is assuming you want an alternate power circuit - not a long term steady charger as referred to above....PapaKb is right about tendrils. ;)

Jedidiah

I'd put heavy duty wiring everywhere and put fusible links wherever is necessary.

I was kind of hoping to create a plug and play system, that would be pretty cool. Although, it would be better to have the charge controller wired to the actual batteries themselves.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Definitely wired directly to the batteries me thinks. That frees up the nato. I'm using very light wire from my panel to the charge controller. Not all that many amps....

papakb

Stay away from Pulsetech. While their products appear to be well made every time I've contacted them their tech support people didn't have a clue as to how to help you. I have some of their stuff but unless you can figure it out your not going to get much from them.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stay away from Pulsetech. While their products appear to be well made every time I've contacted them their tech support people didn't have a clue as to how to help you. I have some of their stuff but unless you can figure it out your not going to get much from them.
Howdy,

:???: what's to figure out? wire to plus, wire to negative, done

Wire Fox

For a maintainer, I use the Pulsetech system. I got a decent deal on one that came with a power distribution box (great fuse panel for about 18 circuits of both 12V and 24V), a battery state-of-charge indicator, and a large solar panel that seems to do well with keep batteries topped off and desulphated. They have a simpler system that also works well, which is simply a small panel and a small pulse controller that keeps the batteries topped off (I also have one of these in a box...)

I do like your idea, especially if the plan is to use a much larger panel array to actual recharge batteries and not just maintain them. It still would be rather slow and probably not worth the cost of building it...but it undoubtedly would be a cool project and might fill a niche that you have that isn't commonplace. If you go that route, follow the earlier advice and install a proper charge controller than can regulate voltage of the solar panels and will not damage your vehicle's electrical system. Then when you're not just recharging, you can pull the plug on your panel assembly easily and use that slave port for anything you need.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ordered the mini slave cable from graywacke and I have a 24v solar panel with regulator. Will advise how it works out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks