• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M322 Trailer Tire Recommendations to Lower Deck Height

Steelreaper80

I just purchased a 2008 Terex M322 equipment trailer. The trailer is nice but I need to get my overall height lower. I pull a large tractor and as it sits, the top of the cab is at 12'11". I would really like to get closer to 12'6". What tire/wheel combo would you recommend to lower the deck height about 4-6"? It currently has the Michelin 465/65R22.5 tires on it. The tires are new but they just make the trailer too tall. I can not scoot the tractor back to get off the wheel well due to the ramps not clearing the Bush Hog tail wheels and I can't pull it forward anymore due to the loader......The trailer/tractor is pulled by an M925A2. Thanks!

20181017_170649.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I replied to your other post. You can cut the wheel well humps off and gain that 3 inches

You will need to turn that 8.3 up some to pull that trailer. It will not like it. More air is key, maybe a 50 turbo

You have 425 65 22.5s which at 44in tall.

You can go to a 255 70 22.5 or 275 70 22.5

Maybe even a 215 70 19.5 or a 235 75 19.5

Remember the shorter the tire the less capacity and the heavier it pulls

On 275s

Attachments

Last edited:

Steelreaper80

Thanks Simp! Love your Youtube channel BTW. Hey have you ever messed with the Bosch pump? I do want to turn up both trucks but no way in **** will I touch it. I read most of the turning up the 8.3 thread and NO WAY. Sounds simple but......

We were looking at the wheel humps. I think they need to go. This is 99.9% an on-highway trailer with only pulling off into the fields to be mowed. I know you have one of these. Did you change tire sizes? What size would you recommend?

Thanks again!

MAdams

I am looking into 255/70/22.5 but they aren't as cheap as normal size trailer tires. Wes, when you load a 5 ton on the trailer, do you pull it in forward, or back it onto the trailer?

Steelreaper, the pump mods are pretty simple but you'll need a egt gauge. You're going to want to turn it up a bit. My truck is turned way up and it still struggles with the hills in CA

Attachments

Last edited:

Steelreaper80

MAdams,

I was planning on buying the boost and EGT gauges from MTG. I know the trans is rated up to 300 HP and about 1,000 lbs of torque. My question is how close can I get to those marks and still retain the reliability of the engine and trans?

Simp,

How is the big cam doing? Also why did you swap out the Allison? Regulary pulling the M322 plus a 6 ton tractor is that something I need to look into or will bumping up the 8.3 with the Allison be enough?

Thanks guys

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
MAdams,

I was planning on buying the boost and EGT gauges from MTG. I know the trans is rated up to 300 HP and about 1,000 lbs of torque. My question is how close can I get to those marks and still retain the reliability of the engine and trans?

Simp,

How is the big cam doing? Also why did you swap out the Allison? Regulary pulling the M322 plus a 6 ton tractor is that something I need to look into or will bumping up the 8.3 with the Allison be enough?

Thanks guys
The allison's only lasted 30k plus they are gutless with power on a small cam. I put the 16spd in to see what power ranges I could keep in with the 16spd. On 395s with the small cam and cat 7155 it was a good truck. It would roll up towards 85 pretty easy empty. And hold 65 to 70 on flatland easily.

Lets put it this way with the big cam, I can carry a 5ton on the m322 and still ride a 923A2s tailgate if hes empty down the highway and even on hills

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I am looking into 255/70/22.5 but they aren't as cheap as normal size trailer tires. Wes, when you load a 5 ton on the trailer, do you pull it in forward, or back it onto the trailer?

Steelreaper, the pump mods are pretty simple but you'll need a egt gauge. You're going to want to turn it up a bit. My truck is turned way up and it still struggles with the hills in CA
Cargo trucks and dump trucks go forward. Due to the rear boagie and bed weighing more than the cab, front axle and engine. But I back it about 10inches off the headboard. Dump trucks the rear tires are at the very rear of that rear deck hump. You might not be able to cause with my hydraulic ramps I can lock them straight up as yours have the little bend over
I load tractors backwards with the front tires at the rear of the rear wheel jump. I am also looking at a lift axle I have laying around to add on to get rid of some tongue weight

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ill buy anyone’s tires and wheels...
I think I've got 2 or 3 stock wheels with the 425 Michelin xzls. Tires are just good spares

Ive got high tread 90 95 percent Michelins that came on the globe trailers. They are 385 65 22.5 ao the deck is almost 2 in lower. They are around 300 ea. Pm me if interested

Last edited:

tatra813

I think I've got 2 or 3 stock wheels with the 425 Michelin xzls. Tires are just good spares

Ive got high tread 90 95 percent Michelins that came on the globe trailers. They are 385 65 22.5 ao the deck is almost 2 in lower. They are around 300 ea. Pm me if interested
Will those 385’s fit on the same rims?

MAdams

I know this post is several years old but I wondered if anyone has tried to fit a 19.5" rim on these trailers? I measured the brake drum and its 19" diameter.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I know this post is several years old but I wondered if anyone has tried to fit a 19.5" rim on these trailers? I measured the brake drum and its 19" diameter.
19.5 steels will work. Aluminums will not.

255/75/22.5@ drop it down alot. Wheels are easy to find and recap trailer tires are $100 each. Capacity of 22k per axle with the 255s

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks